Firearms shooting and taxes

Bruno2

I run a small business . I am an avid shooter and hunter. Several of my customers share the same interests . I have heard of all of these different businesses taking clients to the Golf course and gifting golf clubs and other paraphenalia to their customers . Is this stuff tax deductable ?

As far as security goes for businesses is it possible to write off guns , bullets , reloading equipment , or any accessories on my taxes . What kind of allowances are given for security and what are the limitations?

I have quite a few salesmen that I take to the gun club. One of them happens to be a very good friend that I grew up shooting and hunting with. I supply some reloaded ammo a lot of the times . I buy them games also . I have taken customers on guided hunts and wild hunts also. I see people writing off golf games and other forms of entertainment . I think it would be descrimination to say that I couldnt write off my shotgun games as entertainment. If I wrote off all of my shooting and hunting trips it would look very fishy b/c that would be a lot of money.

Our tax laws are more than merely byzantine in their complexity. Your best bet for good information is to consult a reputable prefessional tax law firm. AND, be aware that no matter what advice they give you, YOU are the one responsible if the IRS disagrees!

Also, since not commonly done, if it is allowable, make sure you have ALL the deocumentation you will need for the audit that is likely to happen.

Good Luck.

I suggest a sitdown with a local CPA; they can help you understand which of these items would make a reasonable & deductable expense. Ask specific questions & show them paperwork from some past business lunches and such. Some of what you are talking about sounds like it could be considered "advertising expense".

You might find some general guidance on business expenses useful: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p535/index.html
Keep context in mind. A good CPA, especially at a smaller firm with more time for you, can often be of real help to a new businessman.

Last edited:
Back