Firearms Exterior Protection

Picher

Some time ago, I remember reading about using Auto Polish to protect the exterior surfaces of all guns and other metal items. I've been using Turtle Wax F-21 Liquid Car Polish on all my guns for several years now, and it works great! (It says it's safe for all surfaces and lasts for a year on vehicles.)

It's great to see water bead up on exterior surfaces, both wood and metal. Gripping the barrel of a rifle or shotgun used to give me the willies, since many people have acidic sweat and we've seen fingerprints on unprotected metal turn to rust. Since there's no oil on the guns they have a nice feel and don't show fingerprints as much.

The other great thing about waxing is that guns don't tend to pick up dirt, which can cause abrasion as it's wiped off.

JP

For many years cops would use a furniture wax to protect their side arms .I guess it was fairly common since I remember that as a kid . It worked !

When making a stock for a rifle it's always much better to use a water proof finish and coat the inside of the stock also. Just because you can't see it , like under the fore end, moisture can get in there !

I believe it was Johnson Paste Wax

Last edited:
Hmmm. I may have to try that.

I usually just spray some silicone in a rag and wipe down. Works good.

I wouldn't use furniture polish myself.

I've used paste wax on some of my guns, years ago. Inconclusive about protection but I think the wax can hold some moisture.
Never used polish since polishing mans grinding of the high points and so on.

I started using Johnson Paste Wax years ago. Works great on both metal and wood. Water beads up and runs off. Just a light coat goes a long way.

I don't recommend car waxes for use on guns.
Too many of them contain abrasives to polish and clean paint and can damage the finish.
I'm not sure about today, but years ago some police used car wax on pistols and found it turned white and made the finish blotchy when the gun was fired and heated up.

For guns Johnson's Paste Wax, or the expensive but great Renaissance Museum Wax works better then anything.

In addition these waxes can be used for many things that auto wax is just not suitable for.
Wax is the preferred treatment for modern leather holsters and belts, are an excellent release agent when glass bedding or using epoxy, can be applied to inletting and butt areas of stocks to seal, and is often used by salt water bird hunters to waterproof guns.
They apply a thick coat and warm it with a hair dryer until it melts. Let dry 30 minutes and wipe off any excess and the gun sheds even salt water.

Many pistols, especially with rubber grips tend to rust under the grips.
Remove the grips and apply a medium-heavy coat of wax and let dry, then replace the grips.
The wax seals the metal and prevents rust. Unlike oil or grease the wax won't run off or be absorbed by wood grips.

The product I recommended is not a WAX, but a polymer polish with little or no abrasive qualities, and it has worked very well for me. It may work best if the metal is de-greased before using it.

Back