firearm training sites- where?

• Thread starter Thread starter olazul
  • Start date Start date
O

olazul

I remember a post awhile back on this issue but can't seem to find it. I have the opportunity to get a few days off in Oct and noticed that gunsite has their 1 week handgun course offered. I thought I might ask some of you folks where the best training is and if anyone had personal experience with gunsite. I don't mind spending the bucks- but I want my money's worth (that penny jar is going to be tough to drag to Az ;) ).

Thanks for the info as always!

Olazul

I took the entry level handgun course at Gun site several years back.It was 5 1/2 days long.Be in fair physical shape and prepared for bleeding blisters from shooting.Very professional instruction and met a lot of interesting people.Take extra money for goodies from the pro shop.Most of the class used .45s.

I have never been to Gunsite, but if you want to save some travel dollars, you might look at a John Farnham course coming to a range near you. (www.defense-training.com)

I took their basic class in May, and it was incredible. They do a truly excellent job!

Lethal Force Institute in NH has my vote of confidence. I've taken 7 courses from Ayoob, and have always been very satisfied.

LFI-I is extremely valuable, as he spends half the 4-day course carefully explaining the legal/moral/ethical/practical/tactical/psychological aspects of defense. The other half is the hands-on practical basics of shooting. Very enlightening.

Ayoob does say that if you're looking for "shoot 'till you puke" training, try Thunder Ranch.

Front Sight - www.frontsight.com - takes a similar approach, with (a little less than) half of the four-day defensive handgun class given to legal/ethical/tactical etc. Of course, they also have advanced classes.

[This message has been edited by Ewok (edited August 26, 1999).]

I'll second OBIWAN's recomendation.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>if you want to save some travel dollars, you might look at a John Farnham course coming to a range near you. I took their basic class in May, and it was incredible. They do a truly excellent job![/quote]

I also have trained with John & Vicki Farnam. I completed both basic & advanced pistol and my wife completed basic pistol. The training was first class. One small thing that I also really liked is that JF runs a "HOT" range. I too think that a firearm should always be loaded and to train with unloaded firearms except when stepping up to the firing line just does not feel right to me.

John - NRA - Lifer

target.gif

Back