K-9

Good evening,this is my 1st post here.Has anyone used the "NoRust
Pistol Bag" sold by Storage Tech? It's
said to be military technology effective
for 5 years.
What is the best way to store firearms in
a safe?
Thanks.

Hello K-9 and welcome to TFL. I have never stored my guns in anything except for 2 SS pistols that I use to keep in pistol rugs. Now that I have a gun safe they are stored in the open on the shelves. I do have a rack in my safe also and several are sitting on it. That can only accomadate some of the smaller frame guns.My rifles are stored the same way muzzle up. I keep them wiped down with an oiled cloth. Some of my newer collectables are stored in their boxes as they came. Thats it,Hope this helps
smile.gif

Happy Shooting
smile.gif

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

Haven't used that brand but have used Bianchi Blue Bags (discontinued now) and just bought some of KleenBores bags too. Same basic concept as the bags you asked about that have corrosion inhibitors in the plastic of the bags. I have stored blued guns that have been stripped and lubed in them in high heat and humidity conditions for three years at a time with no corrosion at all. They work well. Also I have used Brownells mylar bags with rust inhibitor chips, too. Any of them will work well. I keep all my guns in them even in the safe, but I live on an island surrounded by salt water and air so I need the extra protection they provide.

Put it in a plastic bag with a good cup of 10-40 auto oil inside and spray with lots of WD40.

Every few weeks; give another good spray of WD40 all over.

Clean thoroughly every few months and repeat procedure.

If there is rust; take apart and dunk parts in oil after much cleaning. You can store taken apart guns in much oil of course.

Never take your guns out for cleaning or viewing when raining or high humidity.

Dry guns regularly in direct sunlight.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K-9:
Good evening,this is my 1st post here.Has anyone used the "NoRust
Pistol Bag" sold by Storage Tech? It's
said to be military technology effective
for 5 years.
What is the best way to store firearms in
a safe?
Thanks.
[/quote]

I store them in the open in my safe. I have a string of lights to light the interior and to provide some heat to keep things dry. Never had any rusting problems...

For a safe, buy a product called "Goldenrod". It's a long gold-colored anodized aluminum tube, about 1" round, and anywhere from 18" to 36" long - depending on how much volume you're trying to protect.

In use it gives off low heat, like the lightbulb idea, but this is FAR SAFER; UL approved & designed for long-term use - 24 hours/day - 7 days/week. I've had one in use for > 10 years and it only cost me < $30.

For general use, I find that Birchwood Casey's product called "Sheath" is far superior to WD40 and is the best metal protectant I've come across. We even used to use it @ GE on critical aircraft engine parts, so it had better be good. It has better molecular properties than does WD40 or similar cleaner/lubricants, so it lasts & lasts. Try it - you'll like it. :D

Tight groups!

I know about the Goldenrod, but I prefer the lights. Nothing unsafe about them, and they provide light and heat as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hart Industries Defense:
Put it in a plastic bag with a good cup of 10-40 auto oil inside and spray with lots of WD40.

Every few weeks; give another good spray of WD40 all over.
[/quote]

IMO, this is very bad advice! WD-40 is not a metal preservative, and when it evaporates, it leaves behind a residue like glue. WD-40 is one of the very last things that ever get anywhere close to my guns.

Amen to Johnwill's advice. When I'm ready to "put my babies to bed" I spray a product called Corrosion-X on a soft cloth, wipe my babies with the cloth causing a light coating to be deposited on the weapon. Then they get wrapped in a clean siliconized cloth (from Wal Mart) and into the safe they go. Never even one speck of rust - even here in Louisiana. Works for me...

Thanks for the responses.
Lefty,have you ever used that T-9 Wonder Spray?That was developed for Boeing.I'd forgotten about it 'til you mentioned GE.It's sold in woodworking supply stores.
I had occasion to use it a few years back on a gun that was caught in a flood.Took the grips off and sprayed the heck out of it.That revolver works like a dream.

K-9: Yes, I use BoeShield T-9 quite a bit - but on my boat and its electronics, not on my firearms. The T-9 stuff is incredible, but it's made from a modified parrafin wax type of prerservative. I prefer not to have wax in/on a fiearm as it can build up and as with any wax, it can get sticky and attract dirt.

T-9 has its applications, but I don't use it on firearms.

How about the good old standby RIG gun grease for long-term storage??

Back