Firearm discharge in New York State

jrm

I am trying to find information regarding discharge of a firearm on private property in New York State (not NYC, as I know they have special rules).

Specifically, I would like to train both my dog and horse to gunfire. I have private property where I could get permission from the owners (where I keep my horse - I need to do this within the confines of an arena to keep the horse from potentially running away). I would also be using only blank ammo. Plan to shoot with a pistol, for which I have a permit.

I cannot find any legal references to cover this situation. I have found some local towns that have their own ordinance against discharge of firearms - I am not in those towns.

There is a reference in the NYS Environmental Conservation Law (§ 11-0923) stating that only blank ammo can be used when training a dog. No other mention that I can find regarding when or where one might be allowed to actually do this.

Anyone know the answer to this, or can provide a legal reference on the topic?

Thanks in advance.

Likely, this would be covered under local jurisdiction - ask the State or County police agencies - or a local government arm.

I'd stay away from Central Park in the meantime.

I was afraid of that.

My belief is that there is no local laws/codes prohibiting it. I have found the local towns that prohibit discharge, and as mentioned, I am not in one of those. However, I can't find anything that says it is allowed. More likely, there would only be something saying you can't do it, so there is always the possibility I just cannot find the information.

The local authorities are no help at all. The few police that are willing to even discuss the issue say "I am sure there is some law that says you cannot do that." Most police, however, simply tell me "civilians should not own firearms at all." With that type of attitude, I have the feeling they would be looking for a reason to give me a problem.

My guess is that if you are somewhere that someone can see you (or possibly even hear you), they could get you for "brandishing" a firearm or disturbing the peace.

I was hoping that someone could point me to some type of legal reference that I could use in the event I did get a visit from the local LEOs.

It has been many years since I lived in NYS, but years ago so long as you were not within city limits, it was OK.
Try calling the Game & Fish Dept.

BottomGun,

Wow! Thanks for the idea. I called and they have several places nearby where you are allowed to train dogs to gunfire. Several also allow horses on the property, so I am guessing there is a possibility of combining the two. They have details, info on the necessary permit and maps coming to me in the mail.

Thanks again!

No problem. Glad I could help you to get on the right track. By the way, what part of the state are you in?
I was in the southern tier, near the Binghamton area

Can't say for sure today

But 30 years ago, outside of incorporated areas, the only regulations were convered in the game laws pamphlet (firing within xx feet of a road, etc.)

Fish & Game Dept would likely be a good start.

Good Luck.

I am in the _really_ southern tier. :) Long Island. Almost, but not yet quite, as bad as NYC for restrictions.

While the local govt's are into restrictions and rules, I was surprised to learn that the State seems a little more forgiving. The DEC (NY's Fish & Game) actually has some hunting areas on Long Island and allows game dog training on selected State lands. Once the info arrives and I go through the process, we will see how easy it all really is. On the phone at least they seem very cooperative.

Back