Fire Lapping?

DCB

Inactive
Has anyone fire lapped there barrel? I have a new (unfired) rifle and I was wandering if I should shoot it first or slug and fire lap it first. It is a lot of work( I have the kit NECO). Is it worth it? I am going to do it ,I was just looking for some input.
Thanks.....

------------------
DCB <><

I've used the Wheeler Engineering kit from Midway to fire lap a .44 Magnum revolver. It required a fair bit of work since the bore is supposed to be COMPLETELY clean before starting the process and before switching to a finer grit.

It didn't seem to do much, but then the gun (a Ruger Redhawk) shot great before I lapped it.

Being lazy, I haven't done it; but my brother has (he has time unlike me) to his Rem 700 .223 Varminter. He consistently gets 1/2" groups with it.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

DCB,

A friend of mine, who is retired and has the time (lucky devil) has fire-lapped a couple of rifles with what I call dramatic results.

One was a Rem 700 in 30-'06 and the other was a Ruger in same caliber. Both guns exhibited rough spots (by feel) when slugging the barrel, prior to the fire-lapping (the Remington seemed worse). If you've ever pushed a lead bullet through a barrel, you know what I'm talking about.

A long story made short, The Remington group went from approx 1 1/4 in @ 100m down to slightly under 3/4 in @100m. The Ruger didn't show that much improvement, but I seem to recall it came down from about 1 in to slightly under 3/4 in.

All loads fired were handloads meticulously replicated before and after fire-lapping according to NECO kit directions.

Back