Fire Department Restricting Cheaper Than Dirt Ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Brewer

Inactive
First I would like to apologize to anyone seeing my previous Email postings on all Topics. The Administrator was kind enough to set me straight on how to properly proceed.....Billy Brewer

The Fort Worth Fire Department is placing restrictions on the amount of ammunition Cheaper Than Dirt may have in it's building. The following contains the details:
In response to all the Email Cheaper Than DIrt is getting:
My name is Billy J. Brewer. I am the Operations Manager at Cheaper Than Dirt. I have been here almost six years. We currently employ almost 160 good hard working friendly family people. We have Fire Inspections from the Fort Worth Fire Department each and every year. The only items ever written up by the Fort Worth Fire Department have been blown bulbs in Exit Signs and two exit aisles blocked by pallets. There has never been anything said or documented about anything else. On Wednesday, 22 September 1999 a Lt. John Bolten of the Fort Worth Fire Department shows up at our company and tells us he has received a report that we have too much ammo in the building.

This date is only seven (7) days after the September 15, 1999 tragic shooting at the Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth.

On Thursday, 23 September 1999 Lt. John Bolten of the Fort Worth Fire Department presents Article 77 of the 1997 Uniform Fire Code to Cheaper Than Dirt and states to us that this is what we need to comply to. Within Article 77 there are exceptions. Under Seciton 7701.1, Exception 4 states "The possession, transportation, storage and use of small arms ammunition when packaged in accordance with DOT packaging requirements". Exception 9 states "When preempted by federal regulations". All our sporting cartridges are DOT packaged and covered under the Code of Federal regulations 49 (CFR 49). Therefore Cheaper Than Dirt should be exempted from Article 77 requirements. The Fort Worth Fire Department tells us these exceptions do not apply to us.
This is obviously a political issue. The Fort Worth Fire Department has required us to have only 10,000 rounds on display in our Retail Showroom (this would mean any resident within the City of Fort Worth with over 10,000 rounds would be out of compliance and subject to citation) and only 90,000 rounds in our spinkler protected warehouse (a total of 100,000 rounds). We sell over 200,000 rounds daily. The 100,000 round number is not documented within Article 77. It is a number they consider safe. The Fort Worth Fire Department is taking Aguila .22 Short cartridges which does not have any smokeless powder in it (we pulled a bullet out of this cartridge and showed it to Lt. John Bolten) and making it fall under the same guidelines as .50cal BMG cartridges.
As of this writing we have not found a single gun/ammunition/sporting store within the City of Fort Worth that has been contacted by the Fort Worth Fire Department for Article 77 compliance.
On 23 November 1999 at 0925 hrs Cheaper Than Dirt was served with General Complaint Citation B876326 for violation of Section 7701.7.3 Article 77 UFC-97 by Lt. John Bolten of the Fort Worth Fire Department.
The following is a list of addresses and Emails of the City of Fort Worth:
Fire Chief Larry McMillen
City of Fort Worth Fire Department
1000 Throckmorton Street
Fort Worth, Tx 76102

Chief Paul H. Rider
Assistant Fire Marshal
City of Fort Worth Fire Department
1000 Throckmorton Street
Fort Worth, Tx 76102

Bob Terrell
City Manager
City of Fort Worth
1000 Throckmorton St.
Fort Worth, Tx 76102

Mayor Kenneth Barr, Email: BarrK@ci.fort-worth.tx.us
District 2 Mayor Pro tem Jim Lane, Email: District2@ci.fort-worth.tx.us
District 3 Councilmember Chuck Silcox, Email: crsilcox@aol.com
District 4 Councilmember Becky Haskin, Email: District4@ci.fort-worth.tx.us
District 5 Councilmember Frank Moss, Email: District5@ci.fort-worth.tx.us
District 6 Councilmember Clyde Picht, Email: cpicht@landslideclyde.com
District 7 Councilmember Jeff Wentworth, Email: District7@ci.fort-worth.tx.us
District 8 Councilmember Ralph McCloud, Email: District 8@ci.fort-worth.tx.us
District 9 Councilmember Wendy Davis, Email: District9@ci.fort-worth.tx.us

City Hall of Fort Worth
1000 Throckmorton Street
Fort Worth, Texas 76102

I am using this Email Letter to respond in general to the large amount of Emails we are receiving about this issue. I apologize for not having our company respond individually as is our practice. Thank you all for your questions, concerns and letters. Please feel free to spread this Email to all interested and concerned. Merry Christmas and God Bless You..........Billy J. Brewer

Thanks Billy.

All, as Billy's post pertains to the General shooting public and as a legal/political issue, I've given him some slack and he may also post this in Gen'l forum to reach a greater audience.

Let's forget about the earlier glitch
Thanks

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Tyrrany by Bureaucrat, possibly the worst form of tyrrany known to man.

After 2 years or so of legal battles, tens of thousands in lawyer bills and more frustration than you can take, you may get the right to engage in lawful business again. By then you'll be broke and out of business, which is of course the whole point.

Bastards. "Just following orders" is the way we get from a liberty loving Republic to having to have your "papers" in order for the "authorities" to mass exterminations.

Good Luck.

What?! Are you calling our DC a bureaucrat?! Why you...oh, you're talking about Billy Brewer's posting on the Firemarshal v. Cheaper Than Dirt. Sorry.

Yours in bureaucracy,

Gary

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Mr Brewer, do you have a form letter that I can send off to your fine politicians in Fort Worth? I'm short on time but would love to lend my voice to your cause. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would benefit from it on this and other boards.

Dutch

[This message has been edited by Dutchboy (edited December 08, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back