Fiocchi .380 ACP 90gr XTP in Vyse Ballistics Gel (retest)

5pins

20200831_192135-e1598964762359.jpg

Test Gun: Ruger LCP
Barrel length: 2.75 inches.
Ammunition: Fiocchi .380 ACP 90gr XTP
Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 808fps
BB Calibration: 3.75 inches.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/09/03/fiocchi-380-acp-90gr-xtp-in-vyes-ballistics-gel-retest/

The Hornady XTP Bullets make for just about the best .380 ACP Self-Defense loads, and as you said, it really doesn't make much of a difference which brand of ammo you choose since the bullet itself is the real performer.

Personally, my choice is Hornady American Gunner XTP when it comes to my EDC carry load in my Ruger LCP because not only does it tend to be the cheapest, but also I just trust Hornady to load their own bullets for optimal performance better than others, regardless of the the fact that the Hornady Custom XTP ammo fell short of Fiocchi and PrecisionONE in ShootingtheBull410s .380 ACP Ammo Quest.
Speaking of ShootingtheBull410, whatever happened to him? I know he was sick and went away for awhile, but last year he briefly came back with a channel update saying that he was going to resume making videos, only to disappear once again shortly thereafter, and hasn't returned since. I hope he's alright...

Anyway, the .380 ACP XTP does seem to be finally getting some competition from the Federal HydraShok DEEP and Federal Punch 380 ammo lines, but those aren't nearly as available and cost more than XTPs right now.

From what I've seen, Hornady quality by expansion/penetration/FPS is: Custom, regular XTP, then American Gunner. I have my suspensions that XTP American Gunner is a lower quality XTP (second or something). I have all three Hornady loads in the box now. I don't think the cost difference is the casing.

Might want to check results in American Gunner. Foicchi has been my go to and is at Custom level of FPS.

The Federal DEEP .380 on the same site is now my carry.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/...-99gr-hydra-shok-deep-in-vyse-ballistics-gel/

Back