Finnish Mosin

troopcom

Guys I acquired a Finnish Mosin Nagant a while back for around $85.00. The barrel looked brand new and unfired other than the small pit right on the land in the last 2" of the barrel on the muzzle end. I have been pondering the thought of sporterizing it. I would probably cut down the barrel about 2" to make it around 26". I also want to put a muzzle brake on it and a bent bolt. What do you guys think? I know some people are purists and I am one of them for the most part, but that pit in the last part of the barrel irritates the crap out of me! Any suggestions?:confused:

I personally would not do those modifications, mainly because it will devalue the rifle. However, if that doesn't bother you, it is your rifle to do as you please. I have seen too many $400 rifles turned into $100 rifles. I know a number of collectors who are not bothered by defects, in fact some like defects caused by battlefield conditions. As long as the defect does not cause shooting problems, I'd leave it alone.

I have modified a Mosin and would do it again. However, not to a Finn.

If you want to sell it, I'd be glad to make you an offer.

What do these normally sell for these days? Mine is like new except for the pit on the last part of the land.

The only places I have seen them in stock recently is SOG, who sells M39s for $230, and Empire Arms who has a few ranging from $225 to $295

I'm not a "purist", but...
Assuming it's all there and in good condition, I'd sell the Fin, probably for three times what you paid for it...
Then buy a re-arsenaled 91/30 with a great bore, and have at it. Selling the Fin will give you some coin to put towards the project.

I built a long-range sporter from a 91/30 that, while not a "tack-driver" shoots minute of angle. Took her out last week, printed 3" groups at 300 yards, and had pretty good success on a gong at 565 yards despite a quarter value wind gusting at 15 mph.

Be advised, though- accurate shooting with these rifles requires other than the cheap milsurp ammo. While that's fine for casual plinking, you need to handload, or find some current production ammo that your rifle likes, to get the most accuracy from it.

The Finnish rifles have more value as a collectible. A 91/30 with a good bore and sharp rifling will shoot very well in a sporter configuration. Just my $.02...

Wait, the pit is inside the barrel?

How does it shoot? Sounds like a simple counterbore could fix it.

It's inside the barrel! From the muzzle it's about 2" down and it is most definately a pit on the land. When I got my brush a hold of it there was about 1/4 of an inch of land gone and even with the groove. I thought about a counter bore, but does this hurt the value?

That is a tough call. Around here the finnish mosins are rare. I would just get a 43 91/30 (they seem to be abundant) and sporterize the heck out of it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Back