Finn mosin range day

kinoons

1a76cb45.jpg

Done at 100yds. Not totally impressive, but we're still getting acquainted. I'm expecting great things from this rifle.

Mine today was a m28/76, as seen here...

0f9494b3.jpg

8" targets were a bit large...next time I'll give 4" a try. And with out a doubt I am the limiting factor of the system.

"When I shoot my B barrel m39, my eyes are probably the limiting factor, that's a long way to see without a scope."

I hear this all the time from shooters who have much better eyes than I have but why is it that high power shooters can hit the 600 yard target with iron sights and long range shooters do it at 1,000?

The answer to that question is they KNOW HOW TO DO IT.

The old Marine that taught me to shoot is 80 years old and he can still do it and I know his eyes are not the best.

That M28/76 deserves handloads.
Gonna be tough to get it to shoot any better with surplus ammo.
That is, assuming you used surplus....
Nice rifles. Always wanted one, just a bit too pricey for me at current asking $$.

We're 30 rounds to our relationship. So far it's been only production norma. She won't chamber anything surplus or commercial except for norma, and supposedly lapua. I'll get about 100 rounds of brass saved up and begin handloading myself.

I thought that using brass cases (54R) and .308 bullets was fine. I know they have .308 bores, but thought that differences in case dimensions were negligible...kinda like the 5.56/2.23
Seems to be a confusing subject.

Good luck with it.

"The 7.62×53mmR is practically interchangeable with the 7.62×54mmR, the 54R will fit into the smallest allowed chamber size for the 53R, but is nevertheless a different cartridge made to different C.I.P. standards. Using military steel-jacketed 54R Russian ammunition in weapons made for 53R is not recommended (except the M39 and 7.62 TKIV 85 rifles designed to allow safe use of 54R in case of emergency[citation needed]), as it may rapidly wear out the barrel. Even worse, there is a possibility that the resulting pressure from the steel-jacketed larger diameter bullet is too much and firing it may result in severe damage to both the rifle and the shooter. Using the 53R in a gun made for the 54R is however safe, although it may result in accuracy well below the weapon's potential.
The Finnish commercial ammunition manufacturer Lapua does not make a difference between the 53R and 54R, but produces cartridges that will function in weapons chambered for either one.
The Russian ammunition maker Barnaul states that Russian cartridges marked 7.62×53 are the same as 7.62×54. From their web site: "Some hunters have been confused because there have been varying marking on the package, case bottom and stamps: 7.62×53: 7.62×53R: 7.62×54: 7.52×54R. This happened because the 53.72 mm case length was rounded off differently in various countries. After Russia became a member of the European Permanent Coordinated Commission, the final name - "7.62×54R" - of the cartridge was accepted. "[2]
Additionally, Russian ammunition manufacturer LVE (Novosibirsk Cartridge Plant) states, "The cartridges cal.7,62×54R are produced by various producers around the world. Producers mark these cartridges differently, and this leads to confusion among the customers – 7.62х53; 7.62×53R; 7.62х54; 7.62×54R. The confusion is based on difference in rounding out (rounding up or rounding down) the case length (case length of our cartridges is 53.65-0.2 mm). The letter "R" indicates a case rim. After Russia’s joining European Commission (ПМК) a definite name of this cartridge was determined – 7,62×54R. Therefore you may use cartridges of caliber 7.62х54R freely with your arms [marked as 7.62×53R]."[3]"

For 99% of mosins the difference between 7.62x54r and 7.62x53r is negligible. However, about 30% of m28/76 owners report not being able to chamber surplus or production 7.62x54r ammo. Norma and lapua are the only two manufactures that make ammo guaranteed to meet both specs. Any other ammo catches on the shoulder on my rifle and will not chamber.

It is explained better here than I can.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...nction-revealed-between-7-62x53R-and-7-62x54R

Back