Finished my Powder Horn

Very nice work !!!

I still make but mostly collect powder horns and flasks. Not sure whre you are on "this" learning curve but your work certainly needs to be complimented. I have a friend that has moved to the Chicago area and he was one of the first makers that I know, who incorporates metal into his horns. Please continue to share your work with us. ....... :)

Be Safe !!!

Powder Horn

Pahoo, I'm a 70+year old novice. This was my first attempt. Yes I used a marine sealant to try to ensure an air/watertight seal. Thanks for the compliment. I look at pictures and build using them as a guide. I like to incorporate a few different techniques in my attempts. The 50 cal was my first attempt building a rifle from a kit. I spent a year off and on on it and used a lot of different techniques. Thanks for the comments. I love this forum. Read it every day. Learn a lot from you guys.

Your first attempt far exceeds my first feeble effort. I followed the instructions that were printed in The Best of Backwoodsmen. At that time I knew nothing about architecture but have since then amassed about a dozen books on it.

Personally I like the F&I style horns the best. IMO they are the most artistic of all. Here's a map horn I made for a fundraiser and it reflects the area that I currently reside in. One thing about the map is that because it wraps around the horn, Santa Fe all the way south hooks up with Pueblo up north. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

My first time was awkward as well.

Your first attempt far exceeds my first feeble effort.
Gary, you took the words right out of my mouth. Might also add that my first one is still not 100% finished and I still keep it around just for old times sake. I prefer the old plugs that are made to fit the horn, for my collection. It easier to fit the horn to a round plug. I cheat some but hard to tell. Also treat mine so the bugs won't eat them. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Extension for carrying strap

4V50 Gary. It is part of the plug I carved the plug over sized then trimmed it all around but left the tab for the strap. You can see it pretty clearly in the 1562 jpeg. Just something I wanted to try.

Back