Finished my Great Plains Rifle!

Hey guys,

After about a year of research, work, and procrastination I finished my Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit! I'm very proud of it, and though it isn't perfect, I think I did pretty well on it, especially since it's my first time ever assembling a kit. Here are some pictures of it:

Very nice work !!!

From what I can see, you did a fine job on this project. I have seen more than my share of bad work. The best advice I ever read on doing kits, is to be patient with the project and yourself. .... ;)

What are your plans for the RamRod?

Thanks for your post and;
Be Safe !!!

Pahoo, thanks. :) Very good advice, though I do think that I might have been too patient, and I might have spaced the work out too much.

I'm not sure what to do with the ramrod, I'll keep this one, as it works just fine for me, but I may or may not stain it to match the rifle. What do you think?

Very nice. I have one also, not a flintier but the best shooter of
all my front loaders. Those are fine rifles.:D

That ramrod will stain itself over time and usage.
:)
Postscript: Get a non-breakable range [ram]rod:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Muzzleloader_Ramrods_it-853823.aspx?CAT=5593
Put a 54cal cleaning jag on it;
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/580/1
drop it into the [empty] barrel; cut off the excess about 5-6" above the muzzle; and glue on a palm-saver.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/761028/cva-palm-saver-wood

Use that at the range (where 96⅓% of your shooting will be.

;)

Last edited:
All in good time

I'm not sure what to do with the ramrod
I often have to replace RamRods on SideLocks and "try" to come up with a match. There is no better wood than old Hickory. It can run in different shades but mostly fairly light. An old BuckSkinner once told me that it was common practice for the old guys to soak their rods in Kerosene for extended periods. I never cared for that smell. There are also many ways to apply patterns onot a rod. .... :p

When sorting your options, I'd suggest that you pass one "most" varnishes and Shellacs as they are too soft. Currently I use Watco, deep penetrating Danish oil. It comes in different shades and dries fast. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

An old BuckSkinner once told me that it was common practice for the old guys to soak their rods in Kerosene for extended periods

That wasn't to stain it, it was to make it flexible.

Nice looking rifle

Aren't ramrods supposed to be soaked in something (kerosene) to ensure they're flexible and less likely to break?

Can't beat the look of Hickory, but

Aren't ramrods supposed to be soaked in something (kerosene) to ensure they're flexible and less likely to break?
It does have that effect but I have not measured it. It will also change the color and bring out the grain. The Danish oil works in like manner with each rubbing. I usually apply as many coats as it takes to just start a light sheen. Depending on the rod, the initial application soaks in like a sponge in a matter of seconds. Later coats takes more time to soak. ....... :)

Note;
After posting how much I appreciate Old-Hickory, I don't use them for hunting. They are fine for loading and swabbing and "looks". But not very forgiving on abuse. Whenever I have to replace one, I can usually tell how it got broken. For hunting I use a Delrin and on the bench, I use a poly coated fiberglass, that will take all the abuse I can hand out. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Forget what everyone else said. Soak it in linseed oil for a couple weeks. Mine has been good for over 30m years.

I am no expert nor an afficianado of these rifles, but I am wondering why no patch box on the stock? I'm sure you all will straighten me out!

:)

Jim

Most plains rifles did not have patch boxes. The GPR is about as close as you can get to a genuine plains rifle in a production gun.

An old fellow once told me to take some pvc pipe and cap one end. Drop my ramrod into it and fill with chain saw oil. He said something about the high sulfur content in the oil would help to make the rod flexible and keep it from breaking easily. I've tried it and it worked just fine...but I don't know if the science involved has any merit. I have soaked some for two weeks and they have never broken with use.

Back