Finish on Mosin

cbrgator

Just received my first Mosin in today (very very excited by the way). Anyway, as I was handling it, I noticed that something was coming off on my fingers. It was brown and flaky so I am assuming its part of the finish?? I happened to be wearing a white undershirt and after shouldering the rifle, I noticed it had made that area of my shirt quite dirty. What's the best solution/treatment for this problem?

It's a 1935 Tula if it matters.

There are all sorts of finish options. Go to a store that specializes in paints/stains and they can give you some really good advice.

My own choice was spray polyurethane. Mostly because it's easy.

CBR,

The next best finish and the finish I chose to apply to my own MN is BLO ( Boiled Linseed Oil ) ... check the forum the link is from and you will find plenty of detailed threads on what you can do and use.

BTW - If you want to keep the rifle to original spec then stay away from varnish or poly ... BLO, True Oil, Tung Oil will get you a good traditional finish that suits the rifle and does not make it look like something it was never meant to be ... a modern commercial hunting rifle.

Tiki.

Is there a better way to refinish? A stainer of some kind, etc.?

Absolutely not. If you lose too much of the shellac, get ruby red shellac flakes from Woodcrafters and patch it up. For minor repairs, amber shellac does just fine. DA works wonders and is practically free at any paint counter. Although, I suppose you could use Stoli to add a few smeary fingerprints to give it the Stalingrad look.

The M1909 round works best in most of these rifles, you'll find it listed as Heavy Ball. Light ball was for SVTs. Most will have been regulated with the bayonet affixed, so fix bayonets and let 'er rip!

Back