Fingerprint Chip

Bushwhacker

Just got the March issue of"Popular Science" today and found this in it, interesting? What are your thouhts on having something like this on your firearm(s)?

---------------------------------------------

IMAGINE FITTING a gun with a finger-print-recognition system so that it can be fired only by its owner. That's just one application envisioned for a new generation of computer chips that recognize fingerprints.
While previous electronic fingerprint systems were tethered to large computer systens, this new class of fingerprint chips could be used in a varity of sercurity systems, personal and otherwise. One application, for example, is a car door lock that would open only for those, such as family member, whose fingerprints are stored in it's memory. Or chips could be used to give access to portable phones and computers. These applications would require the chip to make a match against one or just a few fingerprints stored in it's memory, rather than a large public database.
Fingerprint chip makers are using a variety of technologies to identify fingerprints. For example, Thompson-CSF Semiconductors uses thermal imaging sensors stored on chip, while Veridicom relies on an direct-current capacitive sensor. No matter what the technology, fingerprint chips promise added safety and convenience.--F.V.

---------------------------------------------
Personaly I wouldn't want one on my firearm, just one more thing for O'le Murphy to mess with, the car, cell-phone or computer I could live with. But Please for the life of me, leave my firearms alone! Just my .05 worth.

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

I agree leave firearms alone. The option should be available, but watch how many LEO's want this crap hanging off of their duty firearms The argument of fingerprint detectors, magazine safety devices, ect is not about safety. THESE PEOPLE WANT OUR GUNS. This is just one more step to try to make it more unappealing or undesirable or unaffordable to own firearms.
Later
Daren

I wouldn't want one in my car either. what happens if something happens to me while I'm driving and my passenger has to drive? then I'm screwed. I am beginning to think techonology is a bad thing. It started this weekend. It doesn't me i'm gonna give up techonology, but I means that I'm gonna apply it more conservatively.

Heh, it seems like the battery in my cell phone is in a state of constant discharge. I pass on this idea.

------------------
A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined;
George Washington Jan 8,1790--There can be no doubt about the Second Amendment.

I like my firearms the same way I like my cameras...

<a href="http://www.ddb.com/olegv/Q/photog.shtml">Manual!</a> ;)

------------------
"Oh, grow up, 007."

This is one of those 'feel good' ideas that doesn't bear scrutiny. The Murphy factor has been mentioned (and, a malfunction here wouldn't be just an 'inconvenience'), the need for a family member or friend to use the weapon is another example, and I'm sure there are many others.

Regarding Murphy, a gun is so important there are times (e.g. hiking / dirty environments) where you want a very, very simply gun like a stainless revolver simply because it will work anytime, anywhere.

Liberals will never understand the concept. I concur - they just want the guns.

Or your hands are covered with mud? Or blood? A gun isn't like an ATM; if you have to identify yourself a second time, you probably won't get the chance.

Well, with all this a trend emerges, in my opinion. Fingerprints digitalized on your driver's license. Fingerprint chip on your gun. Yada, yada, yada. What these people really want is for every one to have a unique bar code tattoo. Think of it! They could track you everywhere and it would be so convenient. Replace your driver's license, credit card, social security, etc. Technology is already well advanced too. Just put the bar code in your palm and a reader on the weapon grip.

Know your customer!

The only thing I want my guns to "read" is the amount of pressure being applied by my index finger to the trigger. This way I control the gun; THE GUN DOES NOT CONTROL ME!

You know whats going to happen don't you?

Feinstein, Boxer and Schumer will propose new laws requiring these on firearms, even though the technology isn't glitch free. Once a manufacturer includes this on a gun, de facto responsibility for any mishap goes right to the manufacturer. Rather insidious, don't you think?

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Ah!, but it goes much farther than guns. Have any of you ever heard of ODB III? Probably not. On Board Diagnostics version III will be required in all new cars in the next few years. It performs all the same functions as the current computer in your car (which is most likely ODB II) but has in interesting twist, it can transmit radio signals to satellites. That peskey check engine light on? I'll get it fixed when I have time, you say. Your car is going to tell "Mama computer" who is then going to order your vehicle into "limp Mode". Basiclly, it will just barely run to get to a shop and have the cause repaired. Some of the things that will trigger this don't even effect the way the car would normally run, your just putting out a little too much pollution.
But thats just for starters, this puppy can also pinpoint your exact location at any time through GPS satellites.
Want more, this thing is capable of ratting you out if you drive a little fast. Surprise! Speeding tickets by mail!
Have you seen the Cadillac comercial where the driver gets lost, pushes a button and the car tells him where to go? Or the one where the keys are locked inside, make a phone call are the doors are unlocked by remote control from half way across the country?
This is not from the car makers, the government wants this system for "pollution control". This system is currently being fought on civil liberties grounds. But it really is surprising how quiet its been. Very few people outside of the automotive industry know about it. I suggest you tell your congressman.

Big Brother is watching!

One of the things to be considered about a chip in a gun is that a gun is often hit in a gunfight. I don't have much faith in an electronic device surviving a bullet strike, or a drop from a height, for that matter.

Another thing is electromagnetic interference. If you are aiming at someone, and have the pistol next to an electric motor, or anything which produces a large magnetic field, the chip may well stop working. Remember the cockpit instruments which stopped functioning because people were using laptops? Stupid idea. Walt

Courier Post NJ Newspaper is taking a
poll on this very topic. After reading
of problems with this Techno babble which
Firing Line users have pointed out and I
never thought about. This is a very scary
idea. Our Freedoms will soon be nothing
but memorys.

Back