Finger position on trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

What part of your finger do you place on the trigger when shooting? I believe that it is different when shooting DA/SA revolvers and autos and for Glocks.

Thanks

According to the "U.S.ARMY MARKSMANSHIP UNIT PISTOL MARKSMANSHIP GUIDE", for the M1911A1 pistol, and I quote, "The gripping hand must reach around to the right far enough to allow the trigger finger to reach into the trigger guard and also to position itself on the trigger at the exact point at which the trigger presssure can be applied straight to the rear. According to the size of the hand, the trigger finger will apply pressure with the tip, ball of the first section or the crook of the first joint or elsewhere. The primary concern is not what portion or spot along the trigger finger is the standard point of contact, but at what spot on the finger you can bisect the trigger, press straight to the rear without disturbing sight alignment." End quote. Quantrill

As a general rule of thumb guideline: For SA handguns, position the pad of your finger on the trigger. For DA handguns, due to the heavier and longer trigger pull, position the first joint of your finger against the trigger.

But the best rule of thumb guideline to follow is to find and use the technique that works the BEST FOR YOU with a particular gun.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute http://www.firearmstactical.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn Dodson (edited August 26, 1999).]

I have tried both and found the following.
When I use the crook between my 1st and 2nd finger pad I notice my finger is more inclined to curl from left to right (right handed) then when I use the 1st pad.
When shooting fast this motion can move the shot in the same direction.

When I use the 1st pad my squeez moves straighter to the rear. In addition, because I have less strength using my 1st pad it forces me to be more focused on the straight pull.

This isn't a guide but just how I decided what works for me.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

CNEMETH

To establish "your" position. This is a dry fire discipline:

Place the pistol/Revolver in the firing hand, with the non-firing hand. Place it so that when you extend your arm the pistol aligns with the arm. Make this natural. Try it several time from "Ready Pistol" The Sights should also align.

If they do not: With the non-firing hand, shift the muzzle in the oposite direction of error. Keep in mind this is a minimal movement. Keep doing this until the sights align when you brin up the gun.

Once you have accopmlished this, maintain the grip. Look at it, see it and get a feeling for it.

NOW:
Place the trigger finger well onto the trigger. As far as you can get it on, With and empty pistol, raise the pistol and dry fire it. If the sight moves, remove the finger just a little and try again. Keep trying this until the sight remains steady, even when the hammper falls. Once you have established this, again, look at your grip and your trigger finger. Where is everything at? Get a feel for it.

I have found that once I have accomplished this, I close my eyes, relax, pistol resting on bench. Then I raise the pistol, eyes closed, when I reach my area of hold, I open my eyes. At this point, everything should line up. If it does not. Make the necessary changes and start over.

HJN

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back