Finding the parts to build a 510 Whisper bolt action

superking75

Inactive
I have been really (really) interested in the 510 whisper cartridge.
I like the versatility and the ability to fire big rounds for cheaper than a full on 50 bmg.

I am not building a rifle at the moment but want to at least get prices for the moment.

Where would I get a rifle or the parts for a rifle chambered in 510 whisper?

You will need to find an action capable of handling the cartridge. Very cursory reading tells me it's a .338 Lapua Magnum parent cartridge meaning you will likely need a magnum length action. Wikipedia says Sako TRG-S actions are most popular for the caliber. T/C Encore is possible too although noted for its heavy recoil. Single shot might be good for you considering I can't imagine the cost of ammo is cheap. Other magnum length actions could be considered including Savage or Remington, but I don't know off the top of my head if they'll work.

You'll need a bolt with the proper bolt face. It seems like this would be the same bolt face as needed for a .338 LM but again something you'll need to confirm. The magazine will likely have to be modified

You'll also need a barrel. If you don't have skills with and access to a lathe, you'll have to pay a gunsmith to do it. I'd guess this would probably come in the form of a contoured .50 caliber barrel blank that your gunsmith will have to turn, thread and chamber. Chambering would require a reamer (possibly a roughing and a finish reamer) that a gunsmith would likely expect you to provide and I can't imagine any way that's less than $100.

Could be a very expensive project.

As mentioned, start with J.D. Jones (SSK Industries) as he's the guy that developed this wildcat.

Cost? To build, you'll need an action capable of handling the .338 LM- like the Sako TRG-S or Weatherby MK-V with appropriate boltface.
Smith would need to buy the reamer, but beyond that I don't see why it should/would cost much more than any other custom magnum. All it comes down to is an action, barrel, and chamber reamer...

Magazine feeding/ modification could be an issue- so I'd certainly ask about that

Reloading for it is another issue. This isn't a simple "neck-down", and of course dies would be custom.

Interesting wildcat. Sure would be one heck of a suppressed, long-range subsonic hog killer...

As I mentioned at the start, SSK has everything you'd need- so that would be where I'd go.

Back