Finding parts for series 80 1911

.45mike

Inactive
Hi , I’m mike new to the forum first time posting. My friends and I have acquired some 80% series 80 1911 lowers. I started looking around for some finishing kits for them and I’m finding more difficult thank expected. Does anyone know of a good source for these parts. I would really appreciate any information, experiences or tips. I’m trying to keep the price reasonable because there are 4 of us but not the cheapest parts I can find.

Are you looking for the jig to finish making the receiver or all the parts to make the gun?

If you're looking to make a 1911 for the cheapest amount possible you're best option is to buy one of the guns out there for $500 to $600 bucks, Tear it down to the all the individual parts and then rebuild it... Nothing about making your own 1911 will save you money. When I made mine I bought the parts from various sources including eBay, MidwayUSA, Brownells, etc. All of the parts kits charge a premium and then you are stuck with whatever options they have.

I’m looking for parts to build the gun with the frame I already have. I’m seeing the rock Island kits on eBay that are cheap but they are for a series 70 1911. I have a series 80 frame. How different are the frames between series 70 and series 80 ?

Curious---who is selling 80% Series 80 frames? All that I see online are Series 70.
AFAIK all the slides/trigger kits/parts kits are Series 70.

Are you SURE you have a Series 80 frame? Welcome to the forum.

The difference between a series 80 and series 70 is minimal. If you buy the series 70 parts kits you can either buy shims and ignore the series 80 parts or spend a couple dollars and buy the series 80 parts separately.

I was thinking the 70 parts might work because I do see they sell shims for the trigger actuated firing pin safety block. I guess the biggest concern would be the slide and how that matches up.

Thank you for welcoming me

The slide shouldn’t be a problem since I’m going to mill the frame to fit it anyway and the jugs are for all models.

By the way this project isn’t for saving money. It’s something fun to build together. You know how women have wine/painting parties? Well we have beer/gun building parties at the machine shop. We did it with ar15’s and decided to do. 1911.

I got these frames from gunbroker.com. Series 80 is in the description.

Well heck--something new every day. Unless you are really in love with the firing
pin safety, use Series 70 parts. Shims (frame slot filler) are available in several
thicknesses. Drop in the correct shim to keep the sear located and Series
70 parts should work for everything.

Thanks for the input guys. I didn’t want to waste time and money for parts I can’t use. I feel better about shopping for parts now. So now I’m looking for a series 70 builder kit if anyone comes access something unbelievable.

By the way this project isn’t for saving money. It’s something fun to build together. You know how women have wine/painting parties? Well we have beer/gun building parties at the machine shop. We did it with ar15’s and decided to do. 1911.
Sounds like a darn good reason to me.
Welcome.

Welcome to the team Mike . Finding parts for the series 80 1911 I would give Brownells a call as others have posted, also EGW and Wilson combat . I wouldn't set your build up as a series 70 takes away some of the fun . I like the series 70 has less parts , I have both . I also like to rip them down and see if I can improve it in some way , working in a machine shop you have the skills and the experience . That place would be close too heaven for me . You also could give Newmerick Armes a call . I ordered a S load of parts from them for a Springfield 1903 . There's so much you can do with the 1911 , seems it was made to work on , easy to completely strip down , they sell different spring weights to custom you pistol for certain loads , jigs to fine tune the trigger . Im sure I don't have to remind you guys when removing metal go a C H at a time . You picked a great pistol to build . Let us know how it turned out . Hope I Helped in Some Way .

Chris

If you don't want to track down S80 bits to complete the build, installation of the frame shim is all you need to allow use of non-80 parts.

If you then find S80 parts on sale, they can still be used in combination with non-80 parts.

Back