Finding a pistolsmith for CZ-52 work

Mike P. Wagner

I have a CZ-52 that I like t a lot, but I have thought of having some work done on it. I have called one local smith who believes that, "With the CZ-52, you get what you get. It's a fine pistol, but it's not 'cost effective' to work on it."

I respect the man's integrity, but I would really like to get some work done. Here's what I have in mind:

1) Honing parts of the trigger assembly to give a smoother pull. The CZ-52 has a firing pin block, that actuated by the trigger, so it's never going to have light pull, but I've heard that honing some of the parts where they contact each other can make it much much smoother.

2) I would like to have new sights. My eyes ain't what they used to be, and the front sight is pretty small and hard to see. I understand that no one makes sights for the CZ-52, so dovetails would have to be milled into the slide.

So here are the questions:

Am I a crackpot to think of doing this to a CZ-52?
Where would I find a smith that could do this kind of work?
How much would this kind of work cost?

Thanks,

Mike P. Wagner

Mike, you probably are a crackpot. :-) Most of us are when it comes to guns we like. The work you describe can be done. E-mail me if you like and I'll give you some details, exact price etc. George

Thanks to all. I looked at the various web sites, and decided to get a "Complete Action Job" from "Actions By T." With some other smaller tasks, I expect the work will cost me $200. If you think that I'm insane spending $200 on a $165 pistol, I wouldn't argue the point.

Mike P. Wagner

Mike-

You can also order new firing pins off of Makarov.com that will lighten the trigger pull a bit. You may want to take a look at ordering one of those.

And, no, you're not a crackpot, unless I am, because I've got a whole list of improvements that could make one of these a real sweet heater.
Just don't have the dough for it. (doh!)

You can also order new firing pins off of Makarov.com that will lighten the trigger pull a bit. You may want to take a look at ordering one of those.

I ordered one of those pins, and looked at it and realized that it lightened the trigger pull by disbaling the firing pin block. I wrestled with that a bit and decided that I really didn't want to disable that safety. While I don't much care for much of the legislated mechanical safeties, I really don't like to disable them. This is particularly true for me when this safety wasn't added to meet a wacky new idea from Congress- it was on the pistol in 1953. So I sort of guess that the designer may had thought it was necessary or at least advisable.

Thanks for the reference- the makarov.com site is an incredible resources for CZ-52 owners. I exchanged the firing pin I ordered for the hardened "military" pin that did not disable the safety.

Mike P. Wagner

Mike,

you are far from being a crackpot. I want to do the same to one of my CZ52's, along with dehorning, cutting some metal from the grip/triggerguard junction so I can grip a little hiher and some night sights for sure. After it is all done, I will send it off for a black parkerizing job. All of this work will cost more than the gun, but when done I will have a gun I trust and will carry on a regular basis. After all, have you ever seen how much those bullseye shooters spend on their rigs!?

Actully, I am a believer in high velocity and penetration. So the CZ52 fits that bill quite well. With the right handload it is possible to get approx. 1900 fps from the CZ52, I plan on downloading to around 1700 fps. If I can find the right hollowpoint it should be pretty devastating.

It is essential to bear in mind that the single most critical factor remains penetration. While penetration up to 18 inches is preferable, a handgun bullet MUST reliably penetrate 12 inches of soft body tissue at a minimum, regardless of whether it expands or not.

This is taken from an FBI report on handgun wounding factors and effectiveness, it makes a pretty good read.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm

and for other firearms and ballistic links...

http://www.kruglaw.com/f_firearms.htm

Bob

I'm interested in the 7.62x25, as well. (That's what this shoots, right?)

I'm assuming a good CZ is going to be a much better deal (and more reliable?) than a Mauser pistol?

Hi Spectre,

If I were choosing today I would go for a broomhandle mauser. But, that is because I already have 4 CZ-52's.

Seriously, I would go with the CZ every time. It is a great gun and with a tiny amount of work can be a daily carry gun, if you are so inclined. Now that wichester is loading for it, you should see more of them around the ranges.

Hee is a pretty good website on the CZ 52.

http://www.citlink.net/citlink/c/coveydo/cz52.html

Bob

Thanks very much, Bob.

One day, I'll get one of these, and get George to dehorn it, do a trigger job, and Teflon coat it. Maybe install some good MMC sights, too. This seems like a great self-defense/camp gun/truck gun, perfect for the odd quick shot at a coyote.

Back