Finding a not so normal competition gun?

Rocketman

Inactive
Alright here goes nothing! I shoot a ported Glock 24,the longest gun glock makes, at a local range in competition.
At 16 years of age, I dont catch any slack from the older crowd so when I out shoot them here comes the flak. It ranges from the tupperware part to the porting and everything in between. I rank up there in the top five out 15 to 20 regulars...and I put a hurting on them a few times too(it has been returned tho! :-) I would like a gun that doesnt fall in to the P7 or Glock catagory. Dont get me wrong I think that both of these guns are great but I want something thats unuasal. I still want a full size pistol and I want to have at least 8 rounds in the mag. What about something in the 380 or 9mm range. Whats the best or close to pistol for this? It has to have a mag drop for speed reloading and maybe even a tapered mag like the rugers do. Any help is welcomed!

It amazes me that a kid w/ 6 months of off and on practice once a week can kick 9/10 cops butts with little effort.

One of the guys I used to shoot IDPA with in SE Virginia was 13 years old, and he qualified Master in SSP with his Glock 17. There are maybe two or three guys out of forty or fifty who can beat him.

As to your gun question, I'd look at an HK USP9. It has a mag release that is a dream for speed, and is one of the finest firearms I have ever handled.

Browning Hi-Power or one of the new CZ75 Standard IPSC model?

CZ75IP-v.jpg

ok - it's kind of a different drumbeat than what you are used to dancing to, but how would you feel about a SW 627 8 shot N frame?

it would make em cry when you smoke them using a revolver - wouldnt it?

practice your reloads & you would be the man!!!

You wanna shut up the Bozo's at the range?

Nothin' does it better than a gun chambered for the .45 colt round. I reccoment a Ruger redhawk or Bisley Vaquero...let them try and say your a wimp with one of these! It's a hard hitting, super kill ratio, macho as hell, non-magnum, accurate, low kick, pistol whipping, mama boy kicking, pig sticking, in your face stainless stalion (reccomended vs. blue.)

But what the heck do you care what those idiots say? You and I know there just jelous that your a "natural". to 'ell wid' em' man'!!

peace happy Purim-fiest!

IZZY

I second the S&W 627 PC if you're willing to go with a revolver. Deadly accurate with quick followups due to comped barrel.
Ronin

From the sound of things, this is you:

image35.jpg

USP Expert in .40 S&W. If you are gonna say it, say with style.

And learn to beat em with your off hand. That will drive em nuts.

Or maybe even better, have you seen a USP Tactical with a Vortex flash suppressor screwed on?

hk%20tACTICAL%2045%20With%20VORTEX%20%20Flash%20Suppressor.JPG

They are both available from Capital City Firearms.

CZ-75B or BD

The BD is the DA-decocker version (no manual safety, it's the one I have). They are way accurate, trouble-free and built for combat. Save you some money too, so you can buy your first 1911.

Regards,

Ledbetter

Rocketman, that's kinda funny i'm also 16 and i shoot a Glock 24C in competition. however i shoot GSSF (Glock Sport Shooting Foundation) so my glock pretty much fits in there. I started out shooting a G19 and G30 in it last year and this year i got a G24C to get a little edge on everyone. i'm thinking of starting IDPA and when i do i'll be shooting my G19. i rarely hear anyone saying bad things about glocks around here but even if someone says something to me i don't really pay much attention. i know i'm shooting a great gun and i'm not going to switch to something else if i get made fun of a little. i don't shoot DA/SA pistols as well as my glocks so i would definitly not sacrifice my performance at a competition just to "fit in".

if i were going to shoot something besides a glock in competitions it would probably either be a 1911 or my Beretta 92G Elite which i shoot almost as well as my glocks. if you're looking for a change of pace from glocks i'd highly recommend the Beretta Elite 2 in 9mm. it is designed for competitions such as IDPA and has a lot of features that you are looking for such as a beveled mag well, extended magazine release, lightened trigger spring for a better trigger pull and much more. it is probably the lightest recoiling 9mm there is as well.

Back