Finally!

turkeestalker

As I've posted on TFL before, I can not count the number of times that my oldest fell asleep against my chest in the spring turkey woods when he was small.
Unfortunately after he was old enough and had completed the Hunter Education course here in Missouri, he shared with me that he himself really didn't wish to hunt, it about broke my heart. But then just because it is a passion of mine, doesn't mean it needs to be a passion of his.
We have continued to share the shooting sports in the 10 years since and his love for them has grown, but never stalking spring turkeys.

That is until this morning!! Woot! :D
He simply changed his mind this year much to my delight and surprise. His younger brother was too wrapped up in a car he just bought to hunt the first weekend here in Missouri, so he and I headed out to my parent's place in Desoto.
We weren't in the woods much more than a half an hour before we had seven jakes stroll into our small set up. I whispered to him that if he wished to harvest one, then by all means select one and do so.
Which he promptly did!

attachment.php

It is killing him now that he can not harvest his second until after tomorrow when the second week begins on Monday!
Thank the good Lord for a father's answered prayer!

Attachments

• IMG_20160423_065828962.jpg
    IMG_20160423_065828962.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 281
Very nice. Wish I knew where the turkeys are in my area!

I've had similar experience with my son. He loves going out with me for big game, but I think it's more for the hiking and camping than the hunting. Several times in the last 3 years he's been on a deer or antelope and had it dead-to-rights....but failed to take a shot. As the animal was running off, I would take it down and fill one of my tags instead. Hoping this year is his year! Going to give him a lot more range time this year....maybe it's just a confidence issue.

good for both of you

Great story and thanks.

Similar happenings here. I spent much time trying to start bamaboy, and at age 16 we had a great string, killing two apiece in about a week. I loved it, and figured he was hooked too.

But his interest has seemed to fade, and we've not hunted much together at all in the past couple of years. School, jobs (his/mine) other hobbies.

Your tale caused me to hope his interst will return.

Good for you guys again!!!!!!!!!!

Back