Finally, Success!!!

Win73

I started deer hunting the opening day of bow season, Oct. 15. I have hunted 2 or 3 times each week since then. I have seen over a hundred deer. But until yesterday I had not killed any. Those close enough weren't big enough. Those big enough weren't close enough. I did let three 3 and 4 point bucks walk. A couple of times fawns just about pestered me into shooting them. Both times they played around out in front of me for over an hour. But my shooting threshold kept getting lower. And yesterday when this fellow gave me a 75 yard shot, well, you can see the result below. He is nothing to brag about, but he will taste good. And from the look of his rack, it was probably good to remove him from the gene pool.

PC150040b.jpg

But here is one I would really like to get.

11120301118or9Ptb.jpg

And here is one I think I need to remove from the gene pool.

1111050317Leftyb.jpg

That bottom deer looks like good eatin'. Nice and fat. The middle one looks like he could use some food. Or he's really old.

The middle one looks like he could use some food. Or he's really old.

I don't think it would be due to lack of food. There was a big soy bean field adjacent to the land I hunt. The deer fed on it heavily. One day before bow season opened, I watched ten bucks and three does feeding in it at the same time.

Congrats man. Nothing wrong with that buck, they all taste good. Hope you're hooked like the rest of us.

I've been hooked on hunting since I was a kid growing up on a farm in SE Missouri. This was my first deer this season but I had killed a total of nine in the five previous seasons.

Yep, congrats. Looks like a good eating deer. I'm a meat hunter. Antlers are just a bonus. I shot a young 8 point and a decent doe this season. Lots of good deer meet in the freezer.

Back