FINALLY..My first Smith Wheelgun

Frenchy

It's a pre-28 Highway Patrolman, "N" frame 357. This is a "first year of production" (1954) 5 screw with the diamond Magna grips. Serial # 113xxx.
38supersig_992662566_28.jpg

38supersig_992662568_28-3.jpg

Really, really nice piece. Hope you enjoy it
for many years to come; but if you don't
here are some steps to take:

1. Gently wrap it up, being careful
to protect the finish.
2. Place the wrapped firearm in a
proper fitting S&W blue box.
3. Again, wrap the secured firearm
first in brown wrapping paper;
then continue with brightly
colored Christmas gift wrapping
paper.
4. Run, run, run to your local post
office. Tell them this is NOT
Anthrax; but a Christmas gift
for your old friend Ala Dan.
5. Purchase the necessary box,
Handle With Care Labels, etc.
6. Buy some insurance, and give
them shipping charges to Bessemer,
Alabama. I promise I will take real
good care of this present.

Just kidding of course; but that is one fine
firearm.

Best Wishes & Happy Thanksgiving To All,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Man, that's nice. I hope you got it for a real decent price, I'd love to have a 28 like that but I don't think I'm gonna luck into finding such a fine gun like that here in Ca. unless I'm real lucky.

I've got a 5 screw 38/44 Outdoorsman and love the gun to death, it's got some age on it though so I've relegated it to occasional use status and have since been looking for a 27 or 28 to replace it. It's gotta be just the right gun though, I've already passed up a 27-3 with a 5 inch barrel because it wasn't just the right variant and passed up a 28-2 because the price wasn't right on it.

That finish on your gun is quite nice too(the sheen looks nearly identical to that of my 38/44 in fact), looks like it's more of a polished bluing rather than the matte bluing that I've seen on so many 28s. What's the barrel length on that gun of yours? 6 inches?

Hope you enjoy your gun, I know what a pleasure the things can be.

Thanks...

That finish on your gun is quite nice too(the sheen looks nearly identical to that of my 38/44 in fact), looks like it's more of a polished bluing rather than the matte bluing that I've seen on so many 28s. What's the barrel length on that gun of yours? 6 inches?

Thank you for the compliment. It does have a little more gloss than the later 28's, and does have the appearance of the 38/44's. The barrel length is 6in.
I referred to it as a "first year" production, but as I read in Supica's 2nd. edition of the Smith Catalog, the production number's would put this one in very early 1955 run. I'll have to do a little more investigating here.
For your reference, I paid $350.00 for the Smith, plus $40.00 shipping and transfer.

That is a beautiful girl!!! Congrats . Hope I bump into a sweet deal like that, but until then I'll stay away from New *&*'s

Hi, Uglygun,

Replace a 38/44 Outdoorsman? I would flip burgers to get the Magnum without giving up the 38/44.

Jim

I have a Model 28 that looks just like yours, except it;s a four screw with a serial number range of S212XXX, it belonged to my late father and it appears to be in unfired condition and shows no holster wear...

7th

I have a Model 28 that looks just like yours, except it;s a four screw with a serial number range of S212XXX, it belonged to my late father and it appears to be in unfired condition and shows no holster wear...

Sounds like you have a late model "61", 7th. Smith went to the 3 screw in 1961. My next quest will be an early 4". The condition of your's, makes it a real "keeper"!

Jim Keenan, I never said I was getting rid of the 38/44, in fact I said it is now designated as an occasoinal use handgun where by that I mean it will only make it out 3-4 times a year for maybe a box or two of rounds. It's days of a high use firearm are limited now, I've likely put 6-7k rounds through the handgun during the years I shot it most during highschool and that was ontop of the mileage it already had on it since being made in the 1950s.

I want a fresh gun now, a 28 or 27 as close to my 38/44 as possible, to use as a primary gun for shooting the majority of the time. But no way in heck I'd give up the 38/44 only to get a 28 or 27, no way I'll keep the 38/44 and welcome a 27 or 28 to the family.

Back