finally made a choice on a 308 rifle

jcolon95

First I want to thank all those that responded to my post in my search for my 308 rifle. after reviewing many rifle brands. I decided to purchase a Ruger American Predator in .308 with a vortex crossfire ii 4-12x44 scope today. I will be taking it to the range soon and will try different ammo to see which one it likes the best. I will post the result with pictures. I have also purchased a cheek riser and muzzle brake. will post picture of rifle once it has very thing I want on it.

I think that depends on what the definition of accuracy is.

If its 1.5 MOA then its good enough for hunting out to 400 yards.

From what I am seeing, most modern rifles are more 1.25" to 1.5".

That's real shots vs picking the shots.

If it will do that with 3 shot group you are good (fine even with a good one shot and a drift off from there - 95% of the time that is the one and only shot (one way or the other)

Target shooting? Different story. There the under 5/8 MOA is the marker. That's a tough one to achieve.

Its a shame that the gun has such a thin barrel.

Last edited:
Good choice. Dont have one in 308 but have a RAP in 6.5 CM and 204 Ruger. My next RAP will be in .223, followed by a 308.

As other's said, I think you'll be impressed with the accuracy.

As other's said, I think you'll be impressed with the accuracy.

As the caliber gets large the barrel becomes thinner.

6.5 might be the limit and still maintain an adequate profile.

thank you all . i have always been a good shot. the Marines taught me well. i have a ruger 556 ar. and i do very well with it. should be taking it out the 308 to shoot next week . i will post my results. hopely with pictures.

Today I went to the range and shot my Ruger predator in 308. I was very pleased we the result. I started at 50 yards. My first 8 shots I was not even on paper. I used my bdc to get on paper just trial and error. But within 10 shot I was on paper. After I zeroed at 50 yards. I shot about another 10 shot to make sure j could place the shot. I was very happy with the result. I started with monarch 150 gr. To zero. Then I moved to the 100 yard line. And I was not disappointed.
I shot my first group of 4 shots they were a little low and to the right. I made some adjustment and I was within a 1" moa in the bullseye with the 150 gr. I also shot winchester and Remington ammo 150 gr. Then I shot federal 180 gr. But by that time I had shot 70 rounds so the barrel was hot. Altogether I shot 80 rounds. Then action was smooth and I had no feeding or ejection problems. I will try some other ammo to see what it likes. But I have to say I am very happy with my purchase.

jcolon95
Nice choice , just remember different brands of loaded rounds foul the barrel differently. takes at least 5 rounds if you don't clean the barrel with each change. Better to give a quick cleaning giving each change a fair start.
Next is getting into rolling your own , that's when your really hooked in the sport. Welcome to the club. Get as much trigger time with your new rifle as possible , have fun & Be Safe out there.

Chris

Great rifle it likes 168 gr federal ammunition, although I only shot at 50 yards I put 10 shots in the bullseye. I didn't measure it but the bullseye is the size of a quarter. I will take it out again with the same ammo out to 100 yards to see if I can repeat the results.

Back