Finally got my Super Blackhawk!

Fatcat

Finally found a dealer that would sell one for a reasonable price, so I snatched it up. My first .44 :D. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one in stainless, but the blueing looks nice. Now, I've got a couple questions..

1) I need a holster for this gun. Any suggestions? I don't need a real nice one, just one that'll hold onto it while I'm tromping through the woods or up at the farm. Cheaper would be better, since I blew all my money on this thing. ;) Whoops, forgot to say it's got the 7 1/2" barrel.

2) Is there any factory ammo that isn't loaded at anemic speeds? I picked up some Winchester silvertip 44 specials to start with, then some Rem 240 grain magnums for fun.

Thanks!

I've got 2 Super's---one stainless --one blued----both have 4 5/8 barrels------got a great deal on the 2nd one(Jumbo Sports was going out of business-got the blued one for $210 NIB)---that's why I have 2.

I use a Gun Mate nylon holster for knocking around---cost me like $8 bucks----its fairly flimsy but it works---hey-it was only $8 bucks, what do you expect? I'm still looking for a nice leather holster that's not a cowboy style.

I picked up a box of UMC 180 gn soft points at Wally's that were REALLY hot. Even bystanders noticed the difference. I'm not sure if they were supposed to be that hot---but I didn't blow myself up and the brass didn't show signs of excess pressure---they extracted fairly easily too.

The .44 Magnum is one of those cartridges that begs for quality handloading. Personally, I like to load 24.0 grains of Winchester 296 powder under a Remington 240g JSP. In my SBH, it is a real accurate load and the power level is very stout!

I agree, you want hot loads get the UMc's from wally world. Lots of flash bang. Cabela's has a nice leather flap holster for...let's see....$28, and it will fit the 7.5 barrel.

I currently own a .44 mag Blackhawk Flat Top, which was made back in the late 50's, it was owned by my Father, who passed it down to me. I also own a stainless Redhawk, a Smith & Wesson 6.5" Model 29 with pinned barrel, a Smith 629 4" and a Uberti .44 mag, 1873 clone. It so happens that .44 mag is one of my favorite rounds. One of these days I'll tell you about my 1911's, when we have a lot more time, because we will need it, since they are my favorite center fire handgun.

7th

For my Bisley, I bought an El Paso Tom Threepersons design holster.

Get a good holster, which fits your gun well. The less expensive holsters, particularly the nylon products, will take the blue off your gun a lot more quickly.

SA non Cowboy Holster

For rugerfreak and others:

Have you looked at the performance series holsters by Mernickle Holsters? http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ they have a design by John Taffin - the PS6SA - available with optional thumb break. I am thinking of ordering one for my SBH 5 1/2" SS .44.

Thanks for all the advice. The Bianchi Lawman is exactly what I was looking for, guess I'll have to pick one up once Cheaper Than Dirt gets it back in stock. I was going to buy a cheapo nylon holster, but now that I thought about it, this gun deserves better than that.

On the ammo, I've been meaning to start reloading for a while now, I guess this gives me another reason to. Mr. Garrett's ammo looks very nice as well. This .44 sure is a hoot.. :)

Back