Finally got my 94

MJFlores

I finally got my "pre-64" Model 94! Ive posted a bit on here and have received some great advice. I originally wanted a .30 WCF, .30-30 but found a really nice .32 Special at the right price and condition. I had been looking at online gun auctions and had been constantly out bid, and had looked at a few "clunkers" in person that had been modified and still marked at a higher price that I wanted to spend. I really just wanted a clean, all original rifle that was functional and would make a nice shooter and hunter. I walked into a local gun store and there she was, at a price that was far lower than anything on the auction sights, and much cleaner looking too. After checking the bore, crown, and action...I made my offer and took her home. It has an appropriate amount of wear for it's age, with no signs of modification or abuse. All the screws are undamaged so I'd guess it's never been taken apart.

13256393_10206702682671032_3584152055149078906_n.jpg

I researched the serial number on the web, it dates back to 1954. I got it home and ran a few patches down the bore, grabbed my hearing protection and went right out back to my range. At 50 yards I produced this 5 shot group. I have to admit the gun is capable of much smaller groups as I was having a very hard time focusing on the sights with my eyes...but still the group I shot has me very pleased! Afterwards, I shot at an 8" steel plate at 100 yards from a standing position and managed to make it ring 4 out of the 5 times I shot at it. I really like this rifle, and the price was certainly right. I don't know why I was shying away from a .32 special...now that I have one I kinda like it. There seems to be enough brass and bullets around as well as factory ammunition. I'm looking forward to reloading for it, and seeing if I can maybe put a dab of white sight paint on the front sight to help these "middle aged" eyes focus on it better. I'm thrilled to have found it, and was able to bring er home!

13230311_10206704076465876_7758069615664159108_n.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sweet look'in 32 you got there. You won't regret buying a 32 over its little sister (30-30.) due to its forever increasing collectors value. Yup!! Congratulations.

Congratulations on a nice find and purchase of a fine old rifle.
I went to an auction where an older gent had a very large collection of guns.
In that collection was a 94 with a unique ladder type rear sight in 32 Special caliber.
I would have liked to have taken it home with, but was out bid.
I bid on it up to $1500, I don't recall the actual selling price but the bidding went on for quite awhile after I dropped out.
Again congratulations and enjoy your new find.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Very nice indeed!!! Looks to be a nearly new gun. The wood has a nice pattern to it. I have a Pre 64 in 30-30, I know they made a million of them but they are pretty good deer and hog slayers. How does the 32 shoot. I've been looking for a 35 Rem but maybe the 32 special is the ticket?

Congratulations on your successful quest! I just don't know what it is about these '94 they are "gotta-have" rifles! I recently bought one myself but not near as old. I wanted a shooter that was pre-hammer safety at a reasonable price. They are just a classic like a colt 1911.

Nice find.
A friend of a friend did something similar.
Bought a .32 pre '64 from a local pawn shop, but by mistake.
He didn't check the caliber or the age until after getting it home.
At first he was aggravated due to the relative scarcity of ammo and having bought an "old" gun.
Until finding out its true worth.
Then he got happy.
Enjoy yours.

Congratulations on your purchase. A lot of those are priced higher than I could go for. But there were so many made that, if you are patiently looking, one can be had at a down-to-earth, reasonable bargain. I found the front sight bead on mine to be very small, OK for pecision work under optimal target conditions, but difficult to acquire sight of in real- life hunting conditions. I enlarged the bead, added a dab of nail polish for better visability and it's much better. Sighted in for a 6 o'clock hold, a larger bead will not obscure your target, but will be easier and quicker to see, and thus more accurate than a fine bead that's difficult to make out. If you add an aperture rear sight, your groups will get smaller as well.

That's a beautiful rifle. You won't regret buying it. I have its older sister, a 1952-made .32 with a serial number 185**** in my collection.

Yours looks to be in slightly-better condition; mine was obviously someone's go-to deer rifle for years, not a safe queen.

Those old 94s are indeed nice compact carbines and yours is really good looking. My .30-30 was made in 1914 and doesn't have any finish left on it, but has a very good bore and is nice & tight - making it a good shooter:

Guns081.jpg

Thanks everyone! This evening I had better shooting light and decided to work on the rear sight. I used a punch to drift it over to the left a few thousandths, It was actually off a bit so now it's centered in the dove tail. I also lowered it one notch in the ramp and then shot this nice group. Much better! The old rifle is ready for deer season, although I plan on having a lot of fun with it before season on my range!

13256501_10206717019909454_3370293261587425508_n.jpg

good job, MJ...

there`s just something about those old Pre-war 94`s...I still can`t see why anyone would want to buy a new "made in JAPAN" `94...the new ones sell for around 1200.00, and the old ones can be had in the 400 to 600 dollar range.

Nice score!!!

I hear you. It was long ago that one would sit on a rack at a gun shop for ages...nobody wanted them. I've always loved lever guns, and figured I could wait to have me a pre 64 model 94 since they were cheap and abundant. Now i seems everyone wants them, and they're becoming a little tough to find and the ones for sale are going for 600 and up to over 1000 for a clean one. I began searching 6 months ago, and finally found mine at a great price. You can get them on gun broker but you'll pay a premium. Everyone is coming back to the old lever guns and realizing just how wonderful they really are.

To find a decent deal on these, you just have to frequent the right gun shops. It seems to me, that the latest generation that's coming of age, will oftentimes trade in their grandfather's handed-down rifle to get something that better scratches their itch for something tacticool. Not appreciating a family heirloom, they may one day kick themselves for letting it go. However, in the meantime, it becomes available for someone like yourself. The only reason the prices aren't higher is that so many younger fellows are doing this very thing. And the reason they aren't cheaper yet, is because the older Winchesters are really excellent rifles.

Back