Finally got my 300 H&H

I finally got my Winchester pre64 model 70 300 H&H back from the gunsmith. I didn't get it cheap. The original purchase plus the shipping, bullets, and refinishing cost me $990. The Leupold VX freedom scope and Talley mts. will cost another $350. Did I do ok with this beautifully balanced 26" barreled beauty from 1957? I'm being facetious but will this rifle with 200 grain accubonds kill a 85 lb Georgia whitetail from less than 50 yards?

Attachments

• IMG_3995 (3).JPG
    IMG_3995 (3).JPG
    745.2 KB · Views: 115
picture was pretty limited. need a better pic to tell. Assuming the barrel is not shot out, you should have a fine rifle that will last you a lifetime.

Ought to.
There is a SF story 'Sleeping Planet' by William R. Burkett, Jr. in which a Georgia deer hunter opposes an alien invasion with a .300 Magnum.

I'm going to have to see that movie! So far I have a 350 rem mag, 338 win mag, 300 win mag, 300 H&H mag, 7 mm rem mag, and a 264 win mag. I am just waiting for aliens or T_Rex to show up!

Attachments

• IMG_3997 (5).JPG
    IMG_3997 (5).JPG
    485 KB · Views: 57
I didn't get it cheap. The original purchase plus the shipping, bullets, and refinishing cost me $990.
That was cheap. I have seen M70s in 30-06 and 270 sell for $1,000. I sold my pre-war M70 in 7X57 a year or so ago for $2,800. I was offered $2,000 sight unseen for my 1950 M70 in 375 H&H. You did well.
Assuming the barrel is not shot out
I imagine it's possible the barrel could be shot out. Not likely, but possible. I have never seen a M70 in 300 H&H that was shot out that was still in the factory stock. Most people used them for hunting, not range toys, and ammo has been hard to get for literally decades.

Barrel is definitely not shot out. pristine condition. little bit of light rust spots on bolt handle and extractor. Other than that its ready to go Brother thinks I should put at least a Leupold VX freedom 3x9x40 on it.

Brother thinks I should put at least a Leupold VX freedom 3x9x40 on it.
“Brother” sounds like an uninformed range idjit. A 3x-9x is overkill for the hunting distance you stated earlier:
will this rifle with 200 grain accubonds kill a 85lb Georgia whitetail from less than 50 yards?
For deer hunting with a 300H&H inside 200yds, a light-weight, compact 1x-4x optic is the max magnification you need ... even if you’ve got the eyesight of Mr. McGoo.

i had a 300 H&H in a remington 721, i shot a 180 gr bullet at 3000 fps and killed every thing i shot with it. nice score on the pre-64 winchester.

In all seriousness, I plan to hunt elk in Montana and perhaps Arizona. The brother that sold it to me so cheap is a custom gunsmith that sells some of the best mauser actions in the world. He has been to Africa many times and has sold custom rifles to Presidents and world leaders. He says the 300 H&H is perfect for big game around the world. If I was only to hunt 85 lb Georgia deer from 50 yards I would use my Savage 99 in .308. As for tremors and graboids I ask people if they have seen T-rexes lately. When they say no- I say, " see! magnums work!"
"Use enough gun"-Robert Ruark
"the 270 is a good coyote rifle"-Elmer Keith

Last edited:
Barrel is definitely not shot out. pristine condition. little bit of light rust spots on bolt handle and extractor. Other than that its ready to go Brother thinks I should put at least a Leupold VX freedom 3x9x40 on it.
The Leupold 3-9x40 should easily get the job done. I have also found the primary arms optics to have very nice glass for the money, but they are on the heavier side.

You'll do well. You're not buying ammo I hope. I'm working loads for mine, and I will share what works. I would love to see your best.

Thank you for your generous offer of loading info. I've got some RL-22 powder and a few boxes of W-W brass. A friend has offered me some 4350 and 4381 to try. Presently I'm leaning towards 180 partitions or Barnes TSX.

Nothing against Nosler Partition bullets I've used them often, but I find other premium bullets are easier to dial in. In Barnes bullets I'd go lighter honestly, up the velocites and still have the same or better effect as a 180 grain heavier traditional bullets. I would use the 165-168 grain TTSX or the 175 grain LRX over the 180 grain TSX. The LRX bullet will expand better at slower velocites than any other Barnes bullet, and a TTSX bullet will expand better than a TSX.

I'm assuming Hogdon or IMR powders. I think H4831(SC) or IMR 4831 will be your best powder with 180 grain. Then with lighter bullets down to 150 grain IMR 4350 (I have better results with than H4350 in my .300 H&H). RL22 more than likely will produce the highest velocites with 180+ bullets, but it is more temperature sensitive than the other powders you are mentioning. So even if I give up velocity I would still choose the more temp insensitive powder. You shouldn't run into pressure issues hunting in MT from loads developed in GA, just decrease velocites.

Thank you for your info. I'll look into the Barnes TTSX or LRX 175. I know monolithic bullets have to be generally lighter because of their profile and density. Looks like I'll be looking for some 4831SC or 4350(If I can find some!)No more 24.99 a pound! There's a better than even chance that if I do get an elk it will be a late season cow elk. The area I can hunt with my brother(88 yr. old trapper) is either sex.

Back