Finally got a real gun....

Chad Young

:D

Well, that is what my shooting buddy says. I picked up a very lightly used Ruger Super Black Hawk (.44Mag) at a local gun show. It has the 7" barrel and all the usual stuff.

1. What rounds have you guys found to be particularly good performers in this gun?

2. What is a good source of holsters for this sort of thing, primarily in cowboy style (of course!).

3. Is dry firing on occasion ok or should it be avoided?

I can't wait to shoot the darn thing! I am warming up the reloading press as soon as I finish moving to the new abode.

I'd say you got a good one. Had an old model SBH that I foolishly traded in on an M29 in 1973 (M29s were hard to come by back then). I finally got around to replacing the SBH with an old model Blackhawk Flattop 44. Good guns.

I load 20.0 gr of #2400 behind a 240gr hardcast SWC. But most of the time I prefer to shoot 10.0 gr of Unique with same bullet. It's easier on the gun and easier on me too.

Occasional dry firing shouldn't hurt, but I'd buy a set of snap caps if you plan on doing it often. I never liked the thought of metal hammering metal.

I like UMC 180 grain JSP. You probably won't find any way to hurt a Ruger. Dry fire away. :)

Chad,

Nice gun. Sounds like you made a good deal. I'm kind of partial to 240 grain loads in .44 mag. You might want to check the little blue notebook on our reloading desk next time you come over to reload. Ha!

As for cowboy leather try Andrews Custom Leather. Sam Andrews is out of Alachua Florida and we can drive up to visit him sometime. I'd be interested in getting a new holster or belt myself.
:D

Gator

Oh yeah. I'm going to have to get one of them guns now too! In .45 Long.

Congratulations on moving up to a "MAN'S" gun. ;)

I like a 200 gr. HP over 16 gr. of Bluedot. But try some of everything and see what you and it like the best.

David

Nice piece! I hope you got a good deal on it. Are you saying my .22 S&W loaded with .22 cb short isn't a real gun. LOL LOL

Sorry, dude. "Real gun" starts at .38 special in revolvers and .380 auto in autos in my-never-to-be-humble opinion. :p

Thanks for the info guys. Me and Gator will be out at the range next week to try out the new toy.

Back