Finally going to pick up a old model P clone. <its inbound!>

BerdanSS

Well I decided with a part of my "Refund" (sorry Mr Ramsey;) ) I'm going to forgo getting another .36 navy C&B that was here locally, and finally get the model P clone I've been pinning over for years. I waffled quite a bit over caliber, but in the end I'm sticking with the good 'ol 45 Colt. I already already have dies and just have too much brass to launch into a new caliber right now.

<edit>

welp, my model P is on the way! FFL said he should have it by Friday. I'm happier than a cowboy on the first day, of the first cattle drive of the year :D

Last edited:
Hawg

I alllllmost got a 44-40, I thought about it long an hard (getting close to 2 years now) At first I was dead set on a 44-40 to match the Henry I want to pick up this summer. But in the end the 45 Colt won. I just have too much doggone stuff for the .45 and other .45 caliber guns.

And I got a good deal on a pistol that seems to be getting pretty hard to get now. The old model 7th Cavalry edition, which only comes in the historically accurate (for the 7th Cav.) 45 Colt. I know its luck of the draw, and the FFL I'm using seemed a little surprised that I found one at all...but I'm really hopping for a I company marked piece :cool: I guess Uberti pumps out a limited run of these buggers every couple years for Cimarron, and normally when they'er gone...they'er gone.

The best thing about this deal, is I found a new shop in looking for a Cimerron dealer. It's only 30 minuets from my house and I never knew it was there. The gentleman was extremely nice and very helpful. Hes a cowboy action shooter and smiths all manor of cowboy action guns as well as C&B pistols. Even said he'd go through the pistol when I pick it up and see if there's anything we can tuneup/tweak to peak it performance.

You will love it. Here is my "Tombstone" watching gun. 45 of course

218f472daacce25ae0ce21f76a36065e.jpg

Now that is a truly sweet iron :cool: do you have a "Doc holiday" shoulder holster for it?

What are the grips made from? I fancy me some non wood grips for this shooter:D I was thinking stag at first.

There is only one thing that disappoints me about this pistol coming...I won't be packing it on the trail this fall scouting deer trails with my old pard Winston:( Toting a Cavalry pistol this fancy would of done the 'ol boy proud.

Whats a "cowboy" thread without a picture of your mount?:)

Last edited:
KWHI
yessir shes a beaut, I noticed the hint of gold tone that distinguishes the nickle

Hawg

That fueled my burning for one :D I kept holding one of my 4.75s then at my 7.5" 1960 Army and thinking....dagum it! :D

Next on the list ( as far as a SAA clone goes) is a 3" taylors running iron CMS

Last edited:
"I'm happier than a cowboy on the first day, of the first cattle drive of the year."

Cowboys were happy on the LAST day of the drive when they got paid and could get a shave, a bath, a drink, and a [CENSORED].

Jim

True, true.... But one must start a first days work of the season before he can look forward to all those nice things ;)

so lets say happier than a hungry sow in a slop trough then :D

Last edited:
So, holster suggestions? What would be a correct US cavalry issued holster for a trooper armed with one of Col. Colts masterpieces of the 7th cavalry Custer era? I found a really good site that had all of the holsters from the 1861 regulation through the 1900s. I cant find it now. One listed as still being used into the late 1870s was an 1863 Gaylord with a wiping rod pouch added to the front. I wish I could find that site again, I should of book marked it. Looked like they had some REALLY nice quality reproduction holsters.

I do believe a black bridal leather waist belt with white cotton cartridge loops would be correct.

I purchased a 7th cav SAA years ago, didn't take me long to figure out what I disliked about 7.5" barreled shooters. Bought a 4.75" barrel from Cimarron and had a Smith who said he did all of Ventarino's stuff screw it on. Great little shooter.

Salvadore

What was it you disliked? Do you shoot competitively and found the physical barrel length to be cumbersome?

BerdenSS

No I don't shoot competively but I do find a long barrel cumbersome. I have a couple of 6"barreled Smiths that I holster seldom but when I do I use older Bianchi X-2100 shoulder holsters. my 4.75" Colt .45 I carry in a Mernickle belt holster, My Cimarron SAA and my 4 5/8" Ruger flat top I carry in a cross draw holster made by a local leather guy. How bout that for more info than you really needed?

:D always happy to hear "to much" when it comes to iron and leather. I'm fairly tall at just under 6'3" with long arms. (For long bows I have a 32" draw length) I'm pretty comfortable drawing my 7.5" 1860 army cavalry twist from my old pueblo slim Jim. I just love how the 7.5s point in my hand, and even though during my reenacting days we were yankee ground pounders...I'm a saber slinger at heart ;)

Kwhi - just curious . . how do you like the 4 3/4" barrel? I'm on the thresh-hold of adding a 45 Colt Cattleman to the herd am am thinking that I would like the 4 3/4" barrel length on it. For the distances I'm going to be plinking I'm thinking it would work out fine - going to be loading smokeless and BP - both 45 Colt and 45 Schofield - 200 gr. and 350 gr. lead flat RN slugs. I have a 5 1/2" NV in 357 and a Uberti Bisley in 4 3/4" - 357 and the Bisley is a fun and accurate wheel gun - I love it.

Berdan - congrats! The 7th Cav. version is a nice pistol. You are going to love it I'm sure! Like you - I have wavered on the 44/40 versus he 45 Colt/Schofield but I was able to scrounge up dies, molds and brass so it's a "no-brainer" to go with the 45 Colt - plus I love the history of the cartridges - both the Colt and the Schofield. Maybe at some point I'll give the 44-40 a try but I'm going to need a little "nudge" in that direction - you know . like running across a pistol in 44-40 at a really good price - or finding a good used set of dies or mold that will make it necessary to give it a try! :rolleyes::D

I'm anxious to see your 7th Cav. model and hear how you like it once you have a chance to send some lead down range! Good luck with it and have fun! :)

Well I've almost worn a hole in the floor pacing. Then I get an email last night. All ups shipments are on hold until further notice from Lexington due to the winter storm they were hit with :( I called the FFL and he gave me the same news, he said that will be an unbelievable back up. And that my pistol may not come in till almost April.

Gary
I was hopping it was going to warm for ya in AZ, sounds like it was a good time:)

Well I guess I can understand the bad weather thing. Just last week we got blasted with another 11 inches of snow. Followed by a layer of ice. Still set my teeth on edge a little when reading the email. Especially when I place my order 3 full business days before the "storm" hit their area. And they "pride" themselves on "fast turn around" and "next day" shipping on orders placed before 3pm...that left me a lil :confused:

According to the email I just received, my pistol in being overnighted to my FFl and is scheduled for early morning delivery tomorrow :D Thanks Buds! nice of then to overnight now that the weather delay is cleared up. Going to the Gun show tomorrow afternoon. Planning on picking up a couple things from my favorite vendor that sells BP and western items.

Back