Finally done: my .41 Magnum Project Gun

Marko Kloos

Inactive
Just got this back from the gunsmith...

It started out life as a plain ordinary *&* Model 57 6". Treatment done as follows...round butt converted, hammer bobbed, pulled the 6" barrel and replaced it with a new quad-MagnaPorted 4" barrel, red-ramped insert front sight and white outline rear sight, action job, matte blue finish, and Hogue Pau Ferro monogrip.

Don't even ask me how much I spent to turn a $250 gun into a $350 gun.... :D

pc57.jpg

I love the 41. it is a great cartridge. I like what you did to yours. The bullet choice is the only bad thing about the 41. There is none.

A thing of beauty! The only part I don't care for is the porting. In my humble opinion, porting is the wrong way to go on a defensive firearm. Great for competition but bad news in a low-light defensive scenario.

Congrats on your completed project. As many of us know all too well, FINISHED projects are kind of rare. :)

Regards,
Callahan

I broke myself of the "custom" revolver thing a couple years ago. After having four N-Frame Smith's customized in various ways (three were 5" round-butts) and then seeing what they sold for over the years, I won't do that anymore. If you like your's and keep it then more power to you. I was trying to find a revolver I would keep but for one reason or another I eventually got rid of all of them at a great loss.

It was just a plain Model 57 square butt 6" to begin with, so it wasn't likely to grow exponentially in value. I intend to keep this one as a "1 of 1" kind of thing.

Man, lendringser, that's a lovely revolver. I don't want to think about how much you spent, but you're sure going to enjoy it. Thanks for another neat-o post!

Whoa...

That is a very, very cool revolver.

I still kick myself for selling my 4" nickelled M-57, but I also have a customized N-frame. It's a 3" M-624 DAO which is also very cool and which stay with me. I learned my lesson.

Here's its inspiration: the Performance Center "PC-13" Model 13 Heavy Barrel, which I gifted my roomie a while back. I wanted one just like it, but in .41 Magnum, and I got into a lucky trade with that Model 57.

pctwins.jpg

I haven't...

...cleaned the PC-13 since I shot it over the Thanksgiving holidays. I dragged along some 20 guns and am totally mired in cleaning! Maxima mea culpa... :o

Beautiful gun but why the MagnaPorting? Just curious. Whatever 3 inch 44mag I buy next is going to be ported since I want it to be shootable. Never shot a 41mag though so.....
This one's a keeper for sure. :)
Ronin

It was magnaported because the PC-13 is ported as well. I scanned the ports on the PC-13 and sent the printed copy off to Magnaport with the gun, so they could duplicate the quad-porting on the PC-13 with this gun. It does help a lot to keep barrel flip down, especially with high-pressure cartridges like .357. .41 and .44 Magnum. Night vision is not an issue...we shot that quad-ported .357 and a 3" ported .44 Magnum at night over Thanksgiving, and it wasn't bothersome at all. (It certainly didn't ruin any night vision.)

.41 mag is my favorite magnum cartridge. Your's is a real beaut! I have a .41 mt. gun that I have gotten very attached to.

trigger?

Is that the full width factory M57 trigger? I had mine de-grooved and narrowed slightly, and it made DA shooting a lot more pleasant for me. Excellent gun there, what a true fighting revolver should be (though some would carp about the adjutable sites).

Back