Finally bought a 1903 Colt

I have been wanting one of these pistols for several years now. After joining this forum I learned about the C&R license which i received a while back. This one was hidden on gunbroker as a buy it now, but unlike most of the buy it now prices, i felt this one was fair to under priced, so i bit and this is what arrived. I know it isn't anything special but i also know almost everybody can appreciate a nice old Colt.

http://s93.photobucket.com/user/easj369/library/?page=1

Sweet!...Always have liked "Older Colt's",just seemed like they were put together with some pride.Didn't think i was a snob until i took stock,and found i no longer own a Colt made after 1958,plus or minus.

I agree with you. I don't own many firearms but the two Colts I do own are from the '20s. Hence the 1929 official police as my name. Sad thing is with the revolver it hung out in a safe for about a decade which resulted in a lot of pitting and surface rust, but it still shoots like a champ.

Got several 1917's and even an 1909 that all still lock up like a bank vault.Got two heavy barrel official police trade ins,one digit apart,that shoot like match guns.Have a 1873 that was manufactured in 1884,that looks like he11,but still will keep them on the paper.Two Colt's that i couldn't wait to get rid of was a Magnum carry,and a Stainless National Match.It was obvious that Colt had dis continued quality control in order to let those two lemons slip through.

That is a very nice 1903. The grips appear to be perfect, so please be careful with them, as that old hard rubber turns brittle with age (and also often turns an olive or brown color as those did).

The finish is original, the wear being the result of some amount of holster carry. Do NOT, repeat NOT, attempt to reblue it or have it refinished in any way.

Jim

james, you do not have to worry about any of those things. I have had it for a few weeks and plan to warm up the barrel with a box, then just let it sit. I am still keeping my eye out for a beater that i wont mind shooting more often.
But when all is said and done, i still think i did alright for $500 and a few more for shipping.

My father left me a 1903 and a Llama 1911ish. My sister wanted one and I let her have her pick seeing as I also have the family business. Sadly she grabbed the 1903. Mine (I mean hers) had great grips and the blue was about 80% but everything was original. My dad used to shoot rats (well try) in the barn with a his buddies and some manhattans. They are such a sweet shooting little pistol with almost no recoil. Smooth as butter and very reliable. Some day I hope to own another.

Great example of the 1903. These early Colt slide guns are among my favorite pistols. I only wish I had acquired more of them before the prices went nuts. My last score was this 1922 made 1903.

1903colt01.jpg

I really do think they are timeless pieces. I am still trying to buy the first one i ever saw that introduced me to them. Guy wants to sell, then doesn't want to sell. Wants $550 then wants $650. Just can't make up his mind. But at least I have one now and that's better then not having one.

I dearly love my 1923 03 colt. One of my best trades ever. I traded an old Police Positive 38 special for it. The revolver was old, tired and reblued, poorly I might add.
The 03 is in very nice shape. You can just see the bones of JMB's masterpiece in the 03.

It has been several months since I bought this pistol and finally had the opportunity to shoot it. I'm in love. My favorite part was there were zero malfunctions using flat nose and hollow points. I used 6 different brands of ammo and miss matching them in the magazine to see if it would jam but everything fed 100%. I shot ten magazines at 7 yards.
100_1914.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very sweet. I've often thought about getting one of the old Colt semi-autos, but I'd really rather have a Remington 51.

But, given that they were made in far fewer numbers, I guess I'd just better start looking for a Colt...

Very sweet. I've often thought about getting one of the old Colt semi-autos, but I'd really rather have a Remington 51.

Just get both Mike, this way you don't miss out on anything! I know I'm happy with that choice :p

Every 51 I've come across has had one or more problems, mostly the owner thinking that they're made out of unicorn farts and unobtanium.

Back