finally.....Alabama bow kill

bamaranger

Gosh what a season. No telling how many trees I've been up, (30?40?)late suppers, agitated wife and been dog tired at work after hunting in AM.

Could not get "on" deer after the first 2 weeks of bow season, NEVER had such a year for not seeing deer. Finally, 80 some days into our 100+ day season, it clicked, I connected, and an 8 point is on its way to the freezer.

Briefly, a bow hunt on a WMA near home that I hunt often. A morning hunt, on a brushy creek bottom that connects to larger pieces of woodland. The surrounding area is relatively recent cutover. Imagine a "dumbell" shape. The grip of the dumbell is the creek bottom. The buck was cruising through on an old scrape line at mid morning, 092O. From when I heard the brush pop, till I shot was about 5 seconds. It happened fast.

Some numbers: 12 yd shot, (heart shot) 75 yds tracking , a 140 lb 8 point

Fetched bamaboy from the house for a tracking lesson and help on the drag.

If you're having one of those years, stay with it. You won't kill one at the bow shop or in your den. Hunt w/ a plan and stay sharp, it can happen fast.

If I can get bamaboy away from texting all his buddies and gals, I will maybe post pics.

Good job :cool:, bow hunting sure can be frustrating, but the reward is definitely worth it. My problem has been seeing a good number of deer, just not being in the right place at the right time. Deer are either too far away or not presenting ethical shots so I waited and waited.....no bow kills this year but that's just fine, time in the woods is always worth it.

Super! Congratulations!

5 seconds, eh? I hate that. I'd much rather have time to calm down and think. Good on you for not "fevering" on him.:D

Congrats Bama !! Persistance pays off as they say.
Just curious, where ya from and where do ya hunt?
Im down the road from ya just a ways in B'ham.
John

Back