Finally, a Walker

toolslinger

Many thanks to Mr.Guido for the most excellent trade. Now I have a proper gun to fondle while watching Lonesome Dove and The Outlaw Josey Wales:D

Have you used it yet? Mine is a head-turner at the range. The guys with Glockish type pistols making pop pop sounds. Then 60 grains of fffg lighting up with a fwoom kinda noise. It shakes the steel roof over the benches. :D

Don't forget to add True Grit to your movie list! Yur supposed to keep it in a four sack while fondling it when you watch that movie btw...

I have a brace of Dragoons and they are my favorites. Not quite a Walker but close.

A tip, if you want to blaze away, take a roll of black electrical tape with you to the range and tape those levers up while you shoot em. Don't have to worry about them falling down under recoil. That's what I do when I'm shooting Cowboy matches.

Make some serious smoke!

I worn you that if you load it hot (60 grns of powder) you will slowly stretch the arbor. I am doing it on mine.

I figure what is the point to shoot light loads in a Walker. Its a cheap gun, have fun with it. Just recognize what you are doing when you do it.

I been unsuccessfully trying to stretch mine since 1990 then.
love.gif

I been loading it to the top and sometimes even have to shave the ball a bit to get the cylinder to turn.
(That's how you're s'posed to load em, ain't it?) ;)

It shoots more accurately with 45-50gr though.

They rock!
thrasher.gif
rock.gif

DSC03188.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe my arbor is a bit soft.

I tried the lighter loads and found mine is more accurate with a full charge of Pyrodex. I bought the gun for about $280 give or take so I just decided the heck with it and I will continue to shoot full power. Once it gets too loose I will have it repaired and continue to bang away with it.

shot3.jpg

Here is 60 grns going off and the "Walker mono-pod" coming into play.

You can put a "tooth" on the latch with a file and it won't drop. (if you don't like it to do that.)
See post #5 here from Hellgate for a pic of it.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500013&highlight=walker+lever+dropping

But there are several threads with many different solutions for a dropped lever if you search for it.
Several of em easier than filing, even. There's clamps, wraps, thongs, bands, and straps. But it doesn't bother some if it drops. Just have fun shooting the big ol' thang! :)

It is a real shame we all live so far apart or we could get together with our "horse pistols" and make a bunch of smoke. I'd love to see the boys at my range when 10 or so Walkers started roaring.......BTW, our black bear season start in the morning. I'm going out with the .300 Win Mag and my Walker as back up.

I will probably file my Walker latch someday. I go slow enough with it that I don't sweat that it drops down.

It is a gun for going to the range and just having a good time. I love to shoot mine but rarely do. Too many other things in the way.

robhof

It's usually the biggest pistol at the range too. The only pistol that I have that is bigger is my T/C with a 14" barrel and it's not a revolver.:D:rolleyes:

Hey all y'all glad to see there are so many brothers in the Walker enthusiast group. So I'm getting fair to middlin at doing grips

I found that I could not abide the gross, bright red, shiny, Italian grips on my Texian Walker... so I started a set o nice burl walnut

Any of you use cap guards on your Walkers? I started using them and no jams from caps falling down in the action. Takes a little longer to reload though.

Any of you use cap guards on your Walkers? I started using them and no jams from caps falling down in the action.
No. My Walker just chews em up and they fall on down into the transmission somewhere. I have found up to 6 in there during disassembly and cleaning. :)

They'll sure clog up my 1860 with just one cap though.:(

Back