Finally a quite good gun show.

Doc Hoy

Hampton Coliseum gun show was quite good this time.
More than 700 tables and that is up from previous shows.

Vendors willing to mark items at gun show prices and willing to negotiate.

Lot of buyers which means if you see something you want, better not hesitate.

I missed a nearly perfect Rossi Model 1992, 20 inch octagon barrel in .44 magnum for 375.00 negotiable. I went back today and he lamented selling the thing for way too little to someone else.

Lot of cap and ball revolvers including some used ones at fair prices.

Bought a Mitchell Arms SAA with a 4 3/4 inch barrel. (Only short barrel Cattleman I own and was thrilled to have it at 325.00.) Box and papers but the pistol is not new unfired. Cosmetically it is less than perfect. But has been shot very little.

Traded a box full of bicycle revolvers in poor condition for a Pietta 1860 Army that is all bound up. Should be fun getting it working again.

The guy who is trying to sell a defarbed and antiques 1858 Remington Clone as an original is still there. I didn't call him on it accept to ask for provenance which he could not provide.

Glad you enjoyed the show. There's a collectors' show here next weekend and I'm looking forward to it. My arm is in a cast so no shooting for a while. Just looking for a project. I hope people continue to be more reasonable on prices.

Make sure to post picture of the SAA.

TK

I know what your saying 'Finally a good show' theres one annual one near me that has overpriced stuff, example, brand new Pietta 1858 $325! i could get one from cabelas for $100 less!

I am looking for more info

on the Mitchell Arms SAA.

It is an Uberti Import and I think Mitchell was High Standard in a previous life.

Don't know if Mitchell did anything to the pistols when they arrived. Maybe just put them into their box.

The 1860 Army came apart with some difficulty.

Bore is pitted but still plenty of rifling.

I think I'll get the pistol shooting again.

Forgot to mention it is .36 caliber.

It's been a long time since I went to a gun show. I can go into Cabelas or McBrides and see the same stuff, and without paying $10 to walk into the door.

Got one in Laurel next weekend. Think I'm going to go. Most of it will be overpriced and probably no black powder stuff but it will be fun to go look and get out of the house.

Best of luck, Hawg...

Hope you find something worth while.

I finished smoothing up the 1860. It is missing the wedge screw and one of the back strap upper screws.

Thought I had them here but no such luck. I got rid of most of my old parts.

Took the steel down to the white and then cold blued it. Brass shined up nice.

Indexed good and cycles reliably.

Bore is pitted but good rifling still present.

All of the nipples came out with just hand pressure.

This pistol had been fired and then put up without cleaning.

The arbor is very slightly loose. Cylinder gap is good and doesn't move.

May need a little work on the bolt legs

BPB, No I don't

I have read of many which their respective author declares are fool proof but I have yet to be able to apply any of them with any success.

I am not a good machinist and so there may be some that work like a champ when done properly by a talented technician.

But I have tried a lot of them without fixing a blinking thing.

I can make them tighter for a little while but in the end they wind up working loose.

Doc . . . sounds like you had a good time and came home with your arms full! A successful day!

Is the C & B a Navy (i.e. Navy frame) or is it a .36 on a Army frame?

I don't know a thing about Mitchell but have a feeling you may be correct in your guess on it. Is there a date code on the revolver? Also . . what caliber?

And you know what they say . . "no photos they don't exist!". :) Will be anxious to hear how you like the 4 3/4" barrel length. I love my 357 Uberti Bisley in that length.

Glad the day was fun and went well!

Two responses...

Gary,

Iver Johnson or US Revolver from turn of the Century. Or other revolvers of similar vintage and equal or lesser quality. I got the name from persons on this forum who were not able to say if the name came from the fact that Iver Johnson made bicycles or the fact that the pistols fit neatly into the pocket of a person riding a bicycle.

The box contained parts of pistols from T.E. Ryan, Iver Johnson, Us revolver, two cheapies from Belgium and a perfect condition complete Lemon Squeezer, nickel plated with a six inch barrel. (I was kidding about the Lemon Squeezer), I think the sixth revolver was another I.J. but I can't recall. None of them were complete and if completed none could be called good condition.

BBB,

The Pietta is an 1860 Army style but in .36 caliber and with a brass frame. Date code on that revolver is BL - 1998.

The Mitchell is a .45LC.

As regards Bisley, there was a different vendor with a Bisley and a Cattleman, I think from Taylors. He was selling them for a widow of a deceased friend. He didn't have any idea about the value. He had them both at 475.00 which without box and papers is about right (IMO). They were excellent in condition, maybe unfired. The Cattleman was .357. I didn't look at the Bisley because I wasn't interested.

Photos at eleven. Oh wait...It is eleven. Okay photos at eleven tomorrow.

Last edited:
Is it eleven yet?

Here is the 1861 (which is what it is closer to than an 1860)

This pistol was really rough. Hammer marks on the bottom of the lug. Screw driver gouges near the wedge. Scratches all over the place. I was not very careful with the blue job on it but I don't really care.

Here is the SAA

I had said previously that from a cosmetic standpoint it is less than perfect. I was referring to the scratches on the cylinder. Looks like it was turned with something against the cylinder. The rest of the pistol is so good that I just wonder how the cylinder got scratched up. Maybe it is from a different pistol.

I may try to drop another Uberti .45LC cylinder in there or I might just try refinishing the whole pistol.

Doc,

Two very nice looking pistols there! Thanks for posting pictures.

About the cylinder, I wonder if you could get those by cocking the pistol in a fast draw holster? Maybe practicing.

TK

I suppose....

it is possible but the pistol shows no other signs of substantial use. It is almost like the cylinder that is in the pistol is not the one that came with the pistol.

Back