Final choice on optic for new Rugar RAR build

Final choice on optic for new Ruger RAR .22LR build

• Mueller APV 4.5-14x50AO

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Vortex Diamondback 4-14x40 (non AO version)

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TahoeDust

OK. This is my final decision on my new build. I am putting together a Ruger RAR ,22LR that will be used 85% for punching paper and 15% small game. I have it narrowed down to these two scopes (if a mod can add a poll that would be awesome. Please do not let the difference in price affect your decision.

Mueller APV 4.5-14x50AO
http://muelleroptics.com/mapv451440

...and in the other corner...

Vortex Diamondback 4-14x40 (non AO version)
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...v-plex-reticle

I am having a really tough choice with this. People love their Vortex but I have heard such good things for so long about Mueller.

Please chime in, if you know of something comparable you prefer please feel free.

For a .22 lr I'd go with the Mueller simply because of the AO feature. Make sure it'll adjust Dow to 15 yards or so, since a lot of .22 is shot at short range.

In that price range, I'd buy a Redfield Revolution. (Not the import models - only the Revolution line.)

The price has gone up to the point that they're over $200, now.
But, I recently picked up a Revolution 4-12x40mm for $139 on GunBroker. "As new. Installed and sighted in. Forgot that I had it and bought another scope. Never used after the first 20 rounds." ;)
Whether or not that story was true, I got a good deal. Even if it was broken... it's backed by the Redfield/Leupold lifetime warranty. So there was no risk.

SO sorry to disappoint a few of you. :smile: I went with the Vortex Diamondback 4-14x40. They let me have it for $169 so I pulled the trigger. It would not supprise if I ordered mueller APV realatively soon to compare.

How well does vortex hold zero? As well as any nikon, Leupold, Burris, Bushnell, Etc., when using quality bases/rings with proper torque on the screws...

Ruger American .22LR full size with threaded barrel
Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40
Harris HBRS 6"-9"

DSC_0015a.jpg

DSC_0014a.jpg

DSC_0016a.jpg

Congrats on the new gun/scope combo. I've never heard anything bad about the cheaper Vortex scopes.

I have a Mueller APV that I bought for my .22 and the best thing about it is it's ability to focus up-close (Shooting 25yd-50yd benchrest targets at 14x it makes a difference). I must say that my Mueller broke right out of the box but Mueller replaced it quickly on their dime.

Here is her first outing I was working on siting in the scope but was fighting a strong left to right wind. This was at 50yds-52yds...

First.jpg

I know...nothing to be very proud of.

That target is nothing to be ashamed of! I bet with practice and Concentrating on your fundamentals you will be posting smaller and smaller groups on target in no time. Keep up the good work!

It has been a little too windy here in the afternoon to sight the rifle in to my liking. I took it to an indoor 25yd range and got it pretty dialed in. Should this be pretty dialed in at 50yds also?

.06"
FullSizeRender.jpg

Back