Filling FSB pinholes in SS Barrel

CedarGrove357

What is your opinion on filling the FSB pin grooves left in a Stainless Steel barrel? I've read suggestions using JB Weld and steel filler, but I was wondering if anyone had used stainless pins to fill the grooves.

I am replacing the FSB with a low profile gas block and the barrel shroud should cover it but is skeletonized, so it may show somewhat. Since this isn't for me, I would like to have the best possible looking option.

Thanks, GodSpeed and Merry Christmas.

Unless you need a picatinny top rail,the original front sight can be cut off,the top shaped,and voila!! low profile!.Put the pins back in.

I have seriously considered that option HiBC, if I wasn't going for more aesthetic appeal and pleasing someone else, I would do just that. I may still try to coerce them into that option unless someone chimes in with another idea.

Do a good job and it will look like it was made that way. Aesthetics will be fine.No better way to fill them

Last edited:
What HiBC said...
Done professionally or skilled DIY there's no issue with aesthetics- much better IMO than filling the holes in "bare" SS.

Another option is for you to epoxy the pin holes and fair flush, then Cerakote. Common procedure for me and they're all but invisible after.

The beauty or hell of chopping a cast FSB is that you don't actually have to do much finishing work, unless you're polishing the whole thing.

Even if the customer/friend does want it to look custom and 'perfect', the steel is soft and easy to work with.

By no means a professional job; but I think this took me about an hour, including removal, a couple applications of cold blue, and re-installation:

attachment.php

Intentionally left rough -- actually taken back to a rough finish with a 12" mill bastard, after careful 'finishing' work with a 6" smooth file. Anything smooth and nicely contoured stood out like a sore thumb, due to the cast finish of the untouched areas.

Attachments

• FSB_chop_close_800_2.jpg
    FSB_chop_close_800_2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 179
The results . . .

OK, so I decided to work on the current FSB and put it back. Intention is to hide it with a free floating handguard, so aesthetics are not as important. I did do a bit of grinding to get to the steel under the coating to make it more like the barrel. Its amateurish I know, but gotta start somewhere - thoughts?
CGFA_AR15_FSB_07.jpg

CGFA_AR15_FSB_05.jpg

CGFA_AR15_FSB_04.jpg

The only thing amateur about it is not getting paid!! Good job.

IMO,it is the most practical solution.If you are putting a forend over it,just be sure you grind till you have clearance.
It will see no wear or handling,so cold blue ,baked paint,or stovetop Parkerizing will be fine. I have found Cold blue over Brownells Parkerizing works good.
My stainless loaf pan makes a fine "tank" for up to bolt receivers and 1911 components. A stainless cup would hold your gas block.
If you bake on paint,mask or clean the inside diameters paint free.(Gas tube hole,too!)

Back