Filed Serial Numbers

Gbro

Was watching a "Real Crime" show on the tube and a 1911 had the serial nubers filed. The narrator said this was a common thing after the war, when someone brought home his sidearm.
!. Was it a common practice?
2. What should one do with a gun like this, say it was given to you after someone passed away?
I wouldn't want one like that around.

Defaced/removed serial numbers

A gun in this condition is in violation of law. Many of the bring back guns did have the "US Property" defaced or removed, but usually not the serial number.

Although the defaced gun is tehnically illegal, and the act of removing the serial number is a crime, there does exist a provision in the law to allow a new number to be stamped on the gun, if it was obtained legally, and meets certain other conditions.

Note that gun made before 1968 are not legally required to have serial numbers. But if the maker put one on the gun, it is a crime to remove it. Virtually all "high grade" guns have had serial numbers since the later 1800s, however many lower grade (cheaper) guns did not, especially shotguns and .22s. I have seen several older .410s and .22s with out serial numbers. ASs long as the gun was made before 1968 (when the law took effect) there is no requirement to put a serial number on a gun that never had one. But if it had one before then, it needs one now.

On a similar note, are there any potential issues with having a gun restamped or re-engraved with its existing serial? I have at least one that the number is worn pretty faint on, and I'd hate to have it actually wear off, especially since it's one of my first choices for home defense.

Yes, it was common. The BATF defines the crime as "possession" of a gun with an altered or obliterated S/N, regardless of who altered it.

I have passed on 1911s with altered numbers, even ones I really, really wanted to buy. With the horror stories of pointless prosecutions and BATF abuse, I don't want the risk of an honest purchase creating a felony and prison time.

"US Property" or similar is not a problem whatsoever. Many, many firearms were legitimately sold through legitimate channels after government use. That stamp on it's own is not a red flag.

Don't bother because the stamping - necessary to punch serial numbers on receivers - causes stresses that can be picked up later by forensics, no matter how good your filing job is.

Back