Fighting Back!

Bushwhacker

Got this from my local area news:
Homeowner Fatally Shoots Robber
CUMBERLAND COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA -- Sheriff's officials say they're not recommending that a Cumberland County man be charged after he shot and killed an apparent burglar. Titus Davis told police he came home last night with his girlfriend and her kids... when they noticed a broken window in their house. He grabbed a gun... and then started firing when a man jumped out of a closet. Police say the alleged burglar was shot six times in the chest. They also say he was carrying a nine-millimeter pistol.

CUMBERLAND COUNTY

Wonder what would have happened if the home owner didn't have a gun to protect his family?

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza

Yesterday in Memphis an armed robber was shot in the leg by a store owner. During his escape, the BG tried to climb a seven foot fence, fell and broke the other leg. Police had no trouble capturing him. Poetic justice? ;)

Try this:

In Adelaide, armed intruders break into a man's house at night. He takes a rifle (.303 from memory), and warns the intruders he is armed. One advances on him (the house is in darkness), arm raised, threatening "I'm going to f***ing kill you". Householder, who knows his way around a gun, fires low, hitting the man through the hips.

Police charge the homeowner with a string of offences: grievous bodily harm; illegal use of a firearm; etc., etc. The media give enormous amounts of time (and sympathy) to the poor crim -- usually shown in hospital -- and absolutely slaughter the homeowner.

Court finds homeowner not guilty on all counts, but legal costs have broken him anyway. Then criminal who was shot (and recovers), takes out a civil suit against the homeowner.

---------------------------------------------
Here in Perth, man hears noise in garden late at night. Goes out, sees an intruder run across back garden and start to scale fence. Homeowner's little terrier rushes over, grabs the man's ankle and unbalances him; he falls to ground and is held until police arrive.

Intruder claims he was "lost" and thought he was at a friend's house. Police let him go, no charges laid. Intruder then sues homeowner for allowing his dog to attack him -- and wins damages.

---------------------------------------------

So where's the justice?

Bruce--all I can say is "wow", as I shake my head in disbelief. That, especially the first account, is horrible!. What was the reaction from ordinary citizens? Did they follow the police and the press and villify the homeowner as well? Was there any outrage at all at the perp, and the fact that the press showed so much sympathy for him? I mean, GEEZ!! Sad, so very, very sad...

Are there no self-defense laws there?

Back