Fiber-Optic Mosin-Nagant Front Sight: Opinions?

Josh Smith

Hi Folks,

Some people asked me to develop this:

fiber-optics.jpg

Photo taken on a very overcast Indiana evening...

The adjustment screw is on the other side, where there's also a split lengthwise in the black metal tube protecting the fiber-optic (looks almost like a roll pin).

The idea was to get it as visible as possible in all lighting conditions for something around reasonable cost.

How's it look?

Josh

Great idea. I have a set on a Sig, and a Glock and I really like them. It really catches your eye, especilly in low light conditions.

With open sights, this would be the way to go.

Hello,

There have been some questions asked and speculations made about how I make this sight, and why it gathers light the way it does, glowing from the sides instead of the end.

I had to make up another sight, so I went ahead and took pictures. This particular set was taken after the final polishing work but right before the final brushing work, so excuse the small mess.

First, it's easiest to think of a fiber-optic rod as an electrical wire, using photons instead of electrons.

Insulated electrical wire allows electrons to flow from the current source to the termination point, whether that point be a blender, computer, or vibratory tumbler.

In the same way, photons flow from a source to a terminal point using fiber-optics. And, like a wire, the fiber-optic rod has an insulation of sorts that can be stripped or added.

All I do is add some "insulation" at the tip, and strip it from where I need it stripped, just like I would cap off a wire and strip it where I might put a Western Union Splice (not recommending that, by the way, as it's been against the NEC for some time now).

I end up with this:

it_gloweth_collector.jpg

This is the front sight, used to gather light.

If you'll notice, you can see the glow grow from bottom to top, where it shines with a whitish-red tint. I have trouble making it show up in pictures.

it_gloweth.jpg

The back side.

Here it is shown at the back -- the part facing toward you, the shooter, and the rear sight. You can see the contrast even if the camera has troubles picking up the glow.

I hope this has answered some questions. It's tough getting the fiber-optic rod in there and then resizing the pin. Polishing and lapping it to the sight hood really takes up the rest of the time until the bare metal is blued, then that has to be polished and left to season a bit. Labor is about three hours on the pin itself, if everything goes as it should.

I hope this answers some questions.

Josh

Hi,

People have been asking what this looks like on the rifle.

Please excuse the rear sight. I can't multi-focus my camera.

Overcast conditions. It has been raining most of the day. Taken 5pm or so.

mounted1.jpg

mounted2.jpg

The width is 0.060".

It gloweth. :D

Josh

Hello,

Complete sight, $50.

Sight conversion, $35.

Fiber-optic pin, $15.

http://smith-sights.yolasite.com/

I really was joking about
The only way I'd be more content is if you ordered a conversion from me!

I encourage everyone to be self-sufficient, and if you have the skill and if it's fun for you, man, do it!

I only do this because this, and teaching, are the only things I've ever done for money where I feel that I've accomplished something, and make me feel at peace. Money is secondary in both these; maybe even a necessary evil.

The real payment is that I've done a good job with the kids (getting harder to do in today's PC climate) and your complete satisfaction with my work.

I've never much cared about what others think of me personally, but my work, man, that's something totally different. I'm always expanding and always improving my methods and techniques.

Josh

The Informer?

Haven't seen it.

Maybe The Subsitute. That would fit me better!

I'm a full-time sub and looking at college again for my teaching license. Meantime I get to go off iffy lesson plans.

Many times kids get free time. Most kids, especially Jr. High, don't know how to use that free time.

I've been in one combative/martial art or other since age 5 or so. Many of these kids are enrolled in Tae Kwon Do. It's fun showing 'em up or handing out tips. I'm OK so long as I don't get caught! :D

You know, I can't help but notice your name. I was an auto tech -- one of my first jobs out of high school and something I'm well trained in. I was best in GMs and Jeeps. I am a third-generation GM man; Dad was a GM engineer until the financial crisis, and Grandma wound coils for Delco-Remy during WWII and sometime thereafter.

I'm thinking about converting my S-Blazer to alcohol, or E-85 at least. Shouldn't be hard, but harder than just throwing on a new carb and changing out the plugs. If you know anything about flex-fuel, I might give you a shout! :D

Josh

Back