Fiber optic+flashlight=night sights?

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
I've been reading the topic on glow-in-the-dark paint for poor man's night sights with interest. But I've been wondering lately--is it possible that a fiber-optic sight (like Hi Viz) will gather enough light from your flashlight in a dark situation to glow? If so, this would be an amazingly cheap "night sight," since so many have pointed out here that you need the flashlight even with tritium sights for target identification.

Has anybody tried this and did it work? Personally I'd love to pay $20 for the fiber optics and $70 for a surefire rather than spend $70 on night sights and still need the flashlight!

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Earlier today i did a search under hiviz and came up with the web sight......I have not used the sights but they gather light well from my playing around with them and your reasoning is one reason why i think they will work, Most shooting are suppose to occur in dim light situations, the tubes are dependent upon a source.....Im going to try some on a pistol here payday...I hope they work...fubsy.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>if you use a light for an extended period, you become a target[/quote]

Tis a simple dance to learn....

Light on.. scan.. light off.. step. Repeat as needed. ;)

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Fiber optic sights are not very effective with artificial light unless you are right over the light source. I use them on my competition IPSC guns and its the sunlight that really makes them glow.

Back