FFP Scope Help??

Thejunk07

First of all, is there anyone that would suggest that I don't get a mil dot scope as opposed to MOA for any reason?

With that being said I don't quite understand the FFP reticle concept with the mil dot and how it keeps range estimation true. So if you are looking at a man through 4x and he is 10 mils tall, that would make him 200 yards away. So you zoom in to 12x, in order for him to be 200 yards he would still need to be ten mils tall, but I don't see how that would happen because you zoomed in and the man got (through the scope) bigger... Can someone help me understand? Is the reticle actually changing size when you change magnification, or what is happening to make the range estimation tool stay accurate?

So at certain magnifications,parts of the reticle will not even be visible anymore?
On the lowest powers some reticles become very hard to see, especially in low light conditions

FFP scopes are better for target shooting than for hunting larger game where the best times can be dawn and dusk

It took me a while to fully understand the difference between 1st and 2nd focal plane reticle. This video from Vortex may help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XgugJSqpoE
Basically in a FFP scope the reticle is in front of the magnifying lens. So when you zoom you are zooming on the reticle at the same rate you are zooming on the target. It makes it easier to range because the relationship between the target and the reticle never changes MOA/MIL. Its one less step to determine distance or size when calculating a shot.

Back