FFL Types and Classes

D1000

Inactive
So I'm thinking about getting my FFL and I know there are thousands of questions out there, but I've got a few specific ones I haven't managed to answer myself yet. (I know the answers are probably out there and I do plan to keep digging myself, but man if it's not difficult to get clear information about all this).

Question 1: Do I have to be a resident of the state in which I am applying for my FFL? Or is it possible to be a business partner with someone currently in the state?
Background: I am planning on leaving my current state of residence soon. So I've been waiting to get settled again before I apply. But I currently have access to a brick and mortar location in the state I grew up in (parents still reside there) and I plan to be back there within a few years. So if I could go ahead and set up there and do small business on the side then that might be my best option.

Question 2: I would probably plan on getting a type 1 FFL and maybe class 3 SOT... pretty standard. Is it worthwhile to also get a type 8 and a class 1 SOT?
Background: I realize that all major manufacturers of non-NFA have deals with importers so it doesn't seem like the type 8 FFL will ever be necessary (unless the class 1 SOT is). But I'm not clear on whether the class 1 SOT is worthwhile. Where do dealers purchase samples for items made by foreign manufacturers? Do major companies also have deals with domestic manufacturers or importers for NFA items?

IE: I get a demo letter from local LEO for a FN SCAR automatic rifle. Is that purchased from a domestic manufacturer or someone with an importer agreement? Or is it possible to purchase directly from the foreign company and therefore need the SOT for the importer as well? (Maybe this specific gun and company isn't the best example, but I'm just not clear on where dealers get their hands on samples if they're not buying from other dealers that already have one.)

Anyway... just looking for general information or advice. All information is appreciated. Pointing to the source of the information would be even better. Opinions... well I guess those can't be stopped.

Thanks guys.

D1000
Question 1: Do I have to be a resident of the state in which I am applying for my FFL?
No.

Or is it possible to be a business partner with someone currently in the state?
Yes

Question 2: I would probably plan on getting a type 1 FFL and maybe class 3 SOT... pretty standard. Is it worthwhile to also get a type 8 and a class 1 SOT?
First, its required if you plan to import firearms. Worthwhile? That depends on you. Are you familiar with customs procedures? Do you have knowledge of ITAR? Do you have business contacts overseas who will ship you firearms?

I kind of doubt you have any of those.

Background: I realize that all major manufacturers of non-NFA have deals with importers so it doesn't seem like the type 8 FFL will ever be necessary (unless the class 1 SOT is). But I'm not clear on whether the class 1 SOT is worthwhile.
What NFA firearms do you think you can import?:rolleyes:

Where do dealers purchase samples for items made by foreign manufacturers?
From their US distributor.

Do major companies also have deals with domestic manufacturers or importers for NFA items?
Of course they do.

IE: I get a demo letter from local LEO for a FN SCAR automatic rifle. Is that purchased from a domestic manufacturer or someone with an importer agreement?
It's purchased from FNUSA.

Or is it possible to purchase directly from the foreign company and therefore need the SOT for the importer as well?
How big a bankroll do you have?:rolleyes: Foreign arms manufacturers won't return your calls or emails unless you are buying a million $$$$ worth of product a year.

(Maybe this specific gun and company isn't the best example, but I'm just not clear on where dealers get their hands on samples if they're not buying from other dealers that already have one.)
They buy direct from the manufacturer or a distributor.

Thank you for the response. This clarifies about everything of which I was unsure.

Probably the most helpful and informative response that I've ever received on a forum.

Back