FFL needed for in-state sale?

NY'er

Inactive
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether, in NYS, a FFL is needed for a non-FTF sale, both parties being in NYS though, or can the receiver/ firearm be shipped directly?

Thanks!

NY'er

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

Check your STATE laws.

In NY state you need to go through the licensing agency for any handgun transactions. This is not needed for rifles.

For NYC I have no idea.

Are you looking to have a NY resident ship you a handgun in NY for you to put on your NY permit?

You REALLY need to talk to the local pistol permit office. It is entirely possible you could wind up with a handgun that you would be arrested in NY for having even with your permit. Do not go by what you read here. You are in NY and NY has its own rules which vary even by county...

Just be sure NY laws don't add anything else!

As far as I can tell, the info given about Fed laws is correct (and since it came from thebook, it ought to be), but make sure the bureaucrats running New York haven't added their own 2 cents into the mix.

You might be ok with the Feds, but run afoul of something NY has added, so check carefully. I don't think there is any thing else you need to do, but it has been a long time since I lived in NY, and things might have been changed, so check it out, before you ship.

Good luck

Back