Ferral Hogs

Kelly J

Here in MIssouri we have a problem with ferral hogs, and the Conservation Dept. wants them taken out, so here is my question, using a Ruger Old Model Vaquero, would a load of 800 - 900 FPS using a 255 - 270 GR Hard Cast SWC be enough to take a Hog cleanly Broadside?

This topic has been battered around a lot.

Like the man asked how big are they and how far away are they etc..

Best thing is a good rifle in the range of a 30-30 or better. But hand guns can and will do the job. Lever's are fast for the second and third shot if needed. Some even recommend the 45-70.

If you check in the hunting area on this forum, and do a search, there are lots and lots of answers.

HQ:D

Personally, I wouldn't want to get close enough to one of those things to be able to hit it with a pistol! Why not use a rifle and get the job done the right way?

Inside of 25 yards most yes.

I took this inside of 25 yards with a Ruger SP101 with a 145 grain Winchester Silvertip.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Charles

Bigger & Faster Probably Better

I have shot a few in S. Mississippi, most with rifles. But I shot one 3 years ago with a .45 Colt from a Ruger Bisley. It was a 255 grain SWC, going about 800 fps. I was close, within 20 feet, and it weighed only about 80 pounds, and it took 3-4 shots to stop it. I mostly got front shoulder shots. Of course it was already mad. Now I have 270 grain loads doing about 1100 fps in that Ruger, and I'm hoping for another try.

My problem is, if you hit them with a pistol in heavy cover, if it doesn't penetrate through and through, you don't have anything to track. I've tried to track several like that hit with a rifle and they just don't leave a blood trail like a whitetail. Recently, I think I hit a big sow (probably 200 lbs) broadside with a 260 grain .44 special running about 1000 fps, but could find no sign of a hit. I heard the bullet slap at about 50 yards, but I think the fat just swallowed up the bullet.

If you get the bullet placement just right on that Vaquero, you ought to be able to bring one down, but I'd use a rifle as the first choice. If you use the Ruger, plan to shoot more than once.

If you are using hardcast loads, you can certainly buy ammo from Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and Grizzley that will get 300+ grain hardcast bullets to well over 1200 fps. That is a lot of uuumph.

I'm going to side with "RUT"

Yes, a handgun will probably do the job, but a rifle would be preferable. Even my Marlin 1894C will launch a 145gr. Winchester Silvertip (my favorite round, BTW) at ~1800 FPS. That should be good for any feral hogs or javalinas.

Kelly J , I am near St. Louis have you found an area where pigs can be found fairly easily ? If so would you mind sharing the location if it is on public land ?

I've been wanting to try a hog hunt with my 30 06 to get warmed up for fall deer season .

Most any caliber will do the job on small hogs up to 150 lbs, but I would go with bigger and faster for the hogs round here.(300lb range)
Thick woods, with close shots are one thing, but a 200 yard shot on a 300 lb hog, will take a lot of knock down and good shot placement to bring it down effeciently.

Good luck finding them. I've been out several times trying to find some. I have even put bait out. I saw lots of deer but no hogs. I think most guys kill them while deer huning kind of like a bonus. There are a lot of them on ft Leonard Wood. If you have some inside info on hog locations and are willing to share a hunt I have a leveraction 45-70 that you could use. I promise it will do the job!

Back