Ferguson Rifle Replica?

Bluesss

Inactive
Im new here and dont really know much about guns but one of my dads ex girlfriends gave this to me a couple of years ago and im trying to see what it is and what it could be worth

inscribed on the top of the barrel is "In memory of Virgina Sal - Killed at Kings Mountian S.C. October 7, 1780"

IMG_20110306_173059.jpg

IMG_20110306_173109.jpg

IMG_20110306_173206.jpg

IMG_20110306_173216.jpg

IMG_20110307_002610.jpg

IMG_20110307_002701.jpg

any information would be great

thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
Even a recent made replica would attract a lot of interest among both shooters and collectors. Yours looks to have been handled roughly and the rear sight looks way to modern for a Fergie.
Someone with knowledge of the Fergie would have to inspect it in person to evaluate the quality of the build. From the marks, it is possible some of the parts were old or original.
Whatever, you got a great gift. Do have it looked at by someone with real knowledge. Lucky you.
As to dollar value, impossibe, for me, at least, to even venture a guess.
If you want to sell, contact Track of the Wolf. They will give you a price (not retail) they will buy it for.

Replicas of the Ferguson rifle were built by Narragansett Arms of Indianapolis, back in the 90s IIRC. Total production was 250, and the price at the time was between $1K and $2K per - i think. They were very well made and true to the original. They were nicely finished, with all the correct proof marks; but had a rather flimsy cleaning rod. Shoots a 65 caliber round ball. And came with a rather long and extremely nasty looking bayonet.

Oh, yeah. The rear sight on this one is the correct rear sight.

I have no idea what current value would be; but I'm sure it would be in the multiple thousands range.

Last edited:
Ferguson Rifle Replica

This is my first attempt at replying so please bear with me.
I believe this Ferguson Rifle was made in England in the mid 1980’s.
The gentleman who made the rifle had his workshop at Barnwell near Peterborough England, Later moving to the U.S.A. in approximately 1988. If I remember correctly he planned to make 100 of this example plus other variations. Unfortunately I cannot remember his name.

Marks on the barrel are:-

The “PP” is for Pilgrim Pieces the maker of the gun.

The “Crown over PF” is a copy of Patrick Ferguson‘s personal inspection mark.

“Crown over BP” is the black powder proof mark of the Birmingham Proof House. Somewhere there should be “Black powder only” stamped on the barrel.

I hope that this is of some help.

Last edited:
The knob on the handle isn't quite right. I don't think the Ferguson's is canted. That screw by the cock isn't right either. It's supposed to be the other way (from left side of the stock to right toward the lockplate). Probably worth about $4k.

WOW!:eek:
Thank you for posting the pictures of an historic rifle, unique, and ultra modern in it's day.
It's hard to imagine someone giving it away.
Wish I had that rifle.
What a nice piece.:)

I had heard of those repros but that is the first one I have ever "seen", even in pictures. Very nice and I am sure the OP is grateful for the information, as am I.

Jim

Gary, I found a picture of an original Ferguson on a Christies auction and the screw head was visible just in front of the cock. I could not tell if the lever handle was canted, the picture was at an artsy odd angle.

It was a pretty good idea, but with the machinery of the time, manufacture must have been darned expensive, plus the guns did clog up pretty quickly.

Jim

That was a fascinating read, especially to those of us with some historical knowledge of the firearm and the role it might have played if put into widespread use!

Back