Fenix UC35

Mikef262

So in a previous thread I was trying to decide on which Fenix brand light to go with. I decided on the UC35. While I haven't used it extensively I have used it enough to form an opinion.

First, I am not a big gear guy. I just like guns, so trying to find a flashlight for my purpose, police academy, was a long researched journey. I had to get myself a rechargeable light that fit on a gun belt as well as a holster for said light.

Included in the purchase, for $89, is the light, rechargeable battery, pocket clip, lanyard, charging cord, and nylon holster.

This light is EXTREMELY bright. If I recall correctly regular car headlights are about 700 lumens. The high beams are 1200. This light produces a whopping 960 lumens on it's highest mode. The strobe feature also has the 960 lumen output. While I haven't been out in large dark areas, yet, this light seems as though that it will light up a good distance. However it is more of a spread than focus (at least from my observations) so I am not sure how it will perform at long distances.

It has five levels of output. The first level is a very low light, so good for looking around your car at night, or whatever you may want low light for, and I mean very low light. The second setting is also very dim, but brighter than the first obviously. The third setting is where it starts to get respectfully bright. The fourth is honestly nearly as bright as the highest.

There are very few things I dislike about this light, and they are small things. One being that it will only stay on high for 5 minutes before it kicks itself down to the fourth setting. However you can immediately kick it back up if you wish. The other being that strobe only outputs 960 lumens. While obviously a strobe on low would be worthless, it would be nice to be able to adjust it between the third and fifth settings for battery conservation. Not that you run around using strobe all the time, but it would be a nice add on.

Now the pros, this thing is BRIGHT. I have never had a flashlight so bright. I am still overcome at how bright this thing is. I also really like the micro USB rechargeable ability. I use an android, so I have lots of those cords laying around. Being able to recharge in the car is very convenient. The metal used to make it feels durable as well. It does not feel cheap at all. It also is a great size. You can keep it in your pocket or belt with ease. It is a nice happy medium in size.

Overall for $89 this light is a bargin. I would give this a 9/10. Only reason it isn't a 10/10 is that little thing it does where it kicks off high after 5 minutes. While $89 is a lot for a flashlight, to me anyway, I would not hesitate to buy another of this gets lost or stolen. Comparing this to the Streamlight Stingers at the PD I work for this is much brighter.

Due note that this is the first review I have ever done on anything publicly. If you have any suggestions or questions drop them below!

IMO, you can't go wrong with a Fenix. Very dependable lights.

I have a PD35 960 Lumens. Paid less than $60.00 for it almost two years ago and have been very satisfied.

Water-man, the UC35 is essentially the exact same thing as the PD35 with a few cosmetic changes, from my understanding, as well as the UC35 is rechargeable. Other than that there are no differences. At least from my understanding. Another option I considered was going with the PD35 and buying a rechargeable battery and charger, but decided against that as there is a $30 difference between tge two, and I would have spent that, or more, getting the battery and charger.

UPDATE

So I purchased a kydex light holder to use rather than the nylon one provided. I have, unfortunately, discovered one more flaw. The rubber flap covering the USB charging port. This flap likes to bunch up or come undone when using a tight holster. This may cause a problem in the future if it rips off.

Back