Femaru 37M

jaytothekizzay

So ive had this pistol for a few years. I got it from my father in law, who got it from his Father in law, who brought it back from Europe after WW2. I haven't done a ton of research but from what I did find , is that it was originally chambered in 9mm KURZ (.380 acp).
It seems during WW2 the Nazis contracted the Hungarians to mfg. a number of these pistols in .32acp. Apparently there were quite a few of the German varient, and possibly as well as the .380 Hungarian versions. From what ive read, it seems the later German varients (.32acp) were stamped with the P MOD 37 roll mark, and also fitted with a thumb safety. But I cant confirm if the earlier run of German .32acp pistols were roll marked.
It seems my pistol has the original markings of the Hungarian version in 9mm KURZ (.380acp).The slide is marked 9mm KURZ. But the magazine is stamped P MOD 37.
So Im really wondering what exactly do I have??? Could I have a .380 pistol, with a .32 magazine? Or a pistol produced during wartime with improper caliber markings? Or maybe the .32acp magazine will feed both rounds?
Im hoping maybe one of you guys is a WW2 expert and can chime in. Believe it or not Id actually like to fire this gun. The bore and rifling seem to be in pretty good shape. Springs seem tight, and cycles pretty good by hand.

441cda485372c5a3a5e53be00f18f214.jpg

bf3935c26cfbb0d53d4bcb27256f8660.jpg

e949ad2389e87a0110cc8b8cf0dff451.jpg

The magazine will work with both calibers, and so will the rest of the gun except the barrel. The barrel is the only part that needs to be changed to change calibers.

The Hungarians preferred the 9mm Browning Short (.380 ACP), but that caliber was not in the German military/police supply system, so the German contract was for the 7.65 Browning (.32 ACP). Note that the guns made for the Germans were under contract - right up to the end, Hungary was an ally of Germany, so those guns were not made under coercion like guns made for the Germans in Czechoslovakia or Belgium.

Jim

A quick and dirty way is to use a common pencil, which runs about .29 caliber. If it fits through the barrel closely, the barrel is .32. If it is very loose, the barrel is probably .380.

Jim

I don't know the minutae of German versus Hungarian wartime deals, so I would assume a Femaru lacking a thumb safety was the Hungarian GI .380.

The hole in the muzzle of a 9mm would measure mighty near 9 millimeters.
3/8" is 9.5 mm.

Do you have any friends with .32 or .380 pistols to compare and even ammo to try?

Back