Felt Recoil

Jeffly

I was wondering if any one knew where I could find any tables listing felt recoil. I curently shoot a 223, 60 or more rounds, no problem, 308 about 30 rounds I get a little sore, a 12 ga. with slugs about 5 or so and i am sore.I would like to get a 300 win mag but wonder how many rounds I could shoot before getting too sore. thanks, J

It's hard to find an accurate table of recoil values since it depends a lot on the weight of your rifle/scope combo and the particular ammo you are using.

You can calculate the recoil energy and recoil velocity with the following formulas:

WG = Weight of gun/scope/ammo in pounds
WB = Weight of bullet in grains
WP = Weight of powder charge in grains
VB = Muzzle velocity of bullet in f/s

I = Interim number (Recoil Impulse in lb/sec)
VG = Recoil velocity of gun (ft/sec)
EG = Recoil energy of gun (ft-lb)

I = [(WB * VB) + (WP * 4000)] / 225400

VG = 32.2 * (I / WG)

EG = (WG * (VG squared)) / 64.4

The "4000" used above is the nominal velocity of the powder gases for commercial smokeless powder.

You can figure out the recoil of the guns you know and see how the 300 Win Mag will compare to them. BTW, I think the recoil velocity is more important to me than the force. For example, most folks will say a gun like a 45-70 with a heavy bullet gives them a big push as opposed to a sharp recoil even though the force may be more than, say, a 30-06.

Even all that math doesn't give you FELT recoil. Too much depends on the shape of the buttplate, shape of stock, clothing you are wearing and, to some extent, how used you are to recoil. One of the nastiest kicking rifles I ever fired was a Winchester 94 carbine in .30-30 with the old crescent shaped rifle buttplate. "By the book", the .30-30 doesn't kick much. But with that buttplate and wearing only a t-shirt, that gun left me bruised.

Jim

So true, Jim. Actually Jeffly has already figured out the very best method there is - "I can shoot X rifle Y times and then I gotta stop." :)

Mal H thanks for the formula, while I use my limited math skills to figure this out have another question. I don't reload so could any one tell me the powder weight that would be used for a 168 gr. bullet in a 300 win mag and a .308? thanks J

Back