Felony and Ownership

Shadi Khalil

Hello all,

I was wondering, If someone owned firearms prior to becoming a felon, what happenens? I know it is illegal for a felon to possess or purchase a firearm, so what do they do? I can imagine it would be legal for them to sell them and without some sort of registration the authorities wouldnt know till they found them....I'm was thinkning of when G. Gordon Liddy said something along the lines of "My wife has the largest firearms collection in the area...." and it got me wondering....

Thanks.

A friend went through this with his son. The probation department required that all firearms be immediately removed and transfered out of his son's name. At least here in California there is a form available from the FFL for a bulk transfer as a result of a conviction. It saves a lot of money.

Depending on the nature of the conviction (non-violent, not a sex offense) it's often possible (in many states) to go back after probation is complete and have the conviction expunged in one way or another. Doing that usually restores most or all rights. This is pretty much a given with many high profile/well connected while collar convictions and I'd be surprised if his wasn't expunged by now. In some states the record of the conviction is sealed and only reopened for sentencing enhancements. In others the case is reopened and dismissed by the court but remains visible on the record as an expungment. I know at one time that the latter was an option in federal courts.

With the initial Military Protection Order done during domestic cases in the military, the order simply states to place all firearms in the custody of someone else. The individual would not be able to sell them, unless they could do so within the same time frame of placing them in the custody of someone else, which in the military is usually a superior in the person's chain of command and is usually immediately on the spot.

With the person's permission, the custodian of the firearms could sell them.

even if they don't take a felons guns away(they didnt know about them or what ever) it would be very bad to get caught with them.

Interesting.

Sholling,

You are right about how hard it is to have a felony exponged. I have a friend who has been trying for a while now. He got in trouble when he was 19 (dead tour, you can figure it out) and hasent been in trouble since. He doenst even want a firearm, he just wants to have that stain off his name and be able to vote....I really think that that depending on the crime, you should be able to at least retain the firearms you already own. Thats just me.....

Last edited:
Back