fell in love (CZ 527 7.62x39)

young mosin

I have not had my hands on a 7.62x39 rifle but i have on a 204 ruger.

I just have to say this rifle is amazing! the bolts so smooth and the high scope rings dont bother me much since i got a large head :P.

once i get the money i'm getting one and its going to be my primary deer rifle. Its also something i can hand down to my children and my childrens children. (that mossberg ATR 100 doesnt seem it would last long)

Any name suggestions before i concieve the CZ 527? :)

MR Mosin,

You right sure you want that gun as your primary deer gun?
Not to knock it, but the CZ is a pretty expensive gun, and for the money you could get a nice Ruger M77 in .308. (CONTROLLED ROUND FEED)
You will be able to fire 7.62x51 Nato.
and will have alot better range, and whoop ass to put on those deeras.
Good Luck.

In the 527 I went with a .223 for varmint hunting. I must admit for larger game I have a fondness for my CZ550FS in .308. CZ makes a fine series of rifles which are fairly priced.

I actually saw a ruger m77 300 winchester magnum with a weird kind of wood stock but i liked the stock. the optics didnt match the gun at all! camo pattern scope lol. it was kind of ugly with that scope.

The thing i don't like is recoil because i just started hunting last year and i dont get much practice.

500 dollars straight up.

Young Mosin,

Ive got a little Ruger Frontier, 308, I added a Spacer, Recoil Pad, and a Leupold to it.
Its a handy little tack driver.
It has the funny looking stock, Laminated, but dang its tough.
I have compared the action and the bolt to my Mauser, and they are very similar.

works for me

Hey young Mo...

I do not have a CZ 7.63x39 bolt rifle, but I do have one from another manufacturer. My son and I have both used it very successfully on whitetails here in our area. In terms of power and effectiveness, I liken it to the .30-30, but in a bolt rifle. There have been whole posts on the .30-30 v. x39 and I do not want to go there. Can we leave it as the near equal of the 30-30, which is plenty for deer at woods ranges. They are not beanfield or cross canyon rifles/right of way rifles, but they work well under 150 yds on our medium sized deer.

They are light recoiling, easy to carry, and x39 ammo is now pretty common from the US makers. I do not shoot the cheap steel case import ammo in my bolt rifle, but I guess one could.

The x39 is an intermediate ctg. It is not on par w/ the high intensity numbers like .308, '06, etc, nor does it have the capabilities of that breed in terms of range and power. But it will be enough for deer in many circumstances.

It is my recommended choice as a youth or starter "hi-power" rifle. BTW, ours killed the biggest buck I will ever likely shoot, at a range of 19 yds.

I've had one for about 4 years. The rifle has had it's share of quirks and glitches, but all have been worked out and is a great shooter, lots of fun at the range. I'm sure it would be fine as a deer gun with the proper ammo. You have the added bonus of it using inexpensive plinking ammo for practice, unlike 30-30 or the other cartridges.

I don't hunt, but to be honest if I was looking for a dedicated hunting rifle I'd look elsewhere, probably at something in 308.

I think the round is good, but the availability of hunting quality ammo may be limited? I dunno. I'd rather have a 30-30 because of its ability to push a heavier 170 grain bullet. Those Marlin 30-30's that I love tend to be sitting in pawn shops across the land waiting for someone like me or you....for closer to 300 bucks usually.

I like the CZ carbines also. I don't like the magazine sticking out of the bottom of the rifle or the $30+ dollars they want for a new mag. I would like one in 223 if they would increase the twist to a 1/9 rate.

I have a couple of Remington model 7s, the older ones with the factory sights and that sorts fills the role of the CZ carbines. Both of mine are in 7-08caliber so its a longer range round than the 7.62x39. I think the 7.62 is a fine deer round by the way. Most deer are shot under a hundred yards, at least around here and the round should do just fine. Somewhere there was a post of someone in Missouri shooting hogs with the soft point and hollow point 7x39 rounds and they were devastating wounds. It was much more than I thought they would do.

For cheap ammo and little recoil, the CZ 527 is hard to beat. I wrote a review on mine here a while back, if you can find it. I bought mine used for $500 with almost 100 rounds of brass-cased ammo and aftermarket scope rings.

Let's see: a .30 caliber rifle, with cheap ammunition, that weighs just five and a half pounds, and has open sights, and is made of steel and walnut, and has a detachable magazine, and doesn't beat up your shoulder, and has controlled round feeding, and has integral scope bases, and has a set trigger?

Count me in.

I heard that Ruger used to make a bolt action 7.62x39. Other than that discontinued rifle, the CZ is the only game in town for a bolt action rifle in that caliber. I covet one.

Like i said. this gun will give me ALOT of trigger time due to cheap ammunition. and its good to 200 yards. you usally dont shoot farther than that. if i do want to take a farther shot my hunting guide carries a pump action 270.

Back