FEG/Kbi Hi-power

MellowMikey

FEG/Kbi Hi-power.
Any input is welcome, I have heard they are well made, but a little rough. I might get one as a project gun.

Thanks in advance,
Mikey

The FEG HP clones are very well made guns for a very reasonable price. If they're a little rough on occasion, it's on the inside if at all...the fit and finish on them is usually good. Mauser sells the FEG HP clone without ventilated rib on the slide with a hi-grade finish, and FEG sells the HP clone as the "Luger 80" and the DA version as the "Luger 90" in Europe. I think they're well worth the money, and I'm always on the lookout for the FEGs at gun shows.

If you don't have any legal objection,remove the mag safety and polish the sear.It will completely change the trigger on this gun.
tracer

my experience with the feg's included a fairly well made and finished pistol, terrible trigger. maybe the mag safety removal mentioned before would solve it. the guy i traded it to said he was going to polish the mag where the safety bar engaged it, supposed to smooth it up a bit. never really got a handle on accuracy, i couldn't get past the trigger.

kdub

Very nice gun for about $200. Yes, removing the magazine disconnect improves the trigger greatly. Also be sure to pick up some of those South African 17-round magazines for $25 or so, as they will give you a lot of firepower. The FEG doesn't quite have the fit and finish of a CZ-75B, but for $200, it's outstanding value. Beware of trigger bite, though.

Some internal work and judicious stoning will help that pistol immensely. The mag safety need not be removed, but it can be smoothed up and the spring tension decreased, which will improve the trigger pull. Unless you have some experience, though, the work is not DIY.

Jim

I've been looking for one of these pistols for some time now, but the best price I've seen is in the $240 range. I keep holding out, hoping I'll come across one for around $200. Like Mellow Mikey, mine will be a project gun. Any idea who may have one at a reasonable price in Central Florida?

Mark / FL

FEG HiPower article

The latest Combat Handguns has an article by Paul Scarlata about an FEG HiPower used as a base for a decent custom gun.

Its the best buy on the market. The first FEG pjk9hp I bought did not have the vent rib and had the small safety and slide stop. Tool marks were evident on the muzzle end of the slide but the blueing is very deep and it WORKS. Jams were unheard of until you shoot it enough to loosen up the springs. I put an aftermarket safety on it and swapped the walnut stocks for a houge monogrip. It hasn't been finicky about ammo or magazines.

Last month a friend of mine bought a new PJK9HP, fit and finish were excellent.. no tool marks and an extended safety and slide stop were standard, and the 3 dot sights were painted better than on mine. The stocks on the new one are plastic but it handles great.

I think right out of the box its a MORE than "decent" gun.

I have one and I love it. I removed the magazine safety and it greatly improved the trigger. After about 500 rounds the trigger gets almost crisp.
The only thing I dont like about it is the fact that I can't double tap. I can tap and then tap again but not like my Commander that will go Bo-boom almost like one sound. The trigger doesnt reset soon enough.

Back